exhaust pipe?

More
01 Aug 2009 09:04 #310726 by ohioKZnut
exhaust pipe? was created by ohioKZnut
Just bought a 78 kz650,and everything is done that i want,sooooo far,i have the 4 into 1 pipe,but i see the baffle is still on,i do see like allen screws to take the baffle off at the end.Will that work,just unscrew the screws and take apart baffle?Is it simple to put back on if i dont like sound?Thanks for any help

78 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2009 10:24 #310739 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic exhaust pipe?
Pictures help to know what pipe and where the screws are. But in a general answer, yes, if you take all of the screws out of a pipe the baffle will come out. Unless you have mine that apparently is frozen inside the pipe. You can heat it with a torch to get it to unrust, but that usually requires red hot and will likely ruin the chrome. My thoughts are to go riding till its good and hot, then (while wearing gloves) unscrew the bolts and pull the baffle.

After pulling the baffle you will need to rejet and buy the neighbors a 6-pack of their favorite cold beverage.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
01 Aug 2009 10:30 #310742 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic exhaust pipe?
or do like kawisakiman... Unscrew, go for a ride, twist the throttle hard a few hundred times and shoot the baffle across the highway into the woods! :ohmy: :blink: :huh: :dry:

True, he did, lost it as a matter of fact... probably stuck it into the vehicile behind him.... :laugh: :laugh:

Probably killed baby Sasquatch!

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
01 Aug 2009 13:33 - 01 Aug 2009 13:34 #310766 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic exhaust pipe?
Rust welds the baffle in place over time. I recall I could take my can off the pipe and then reach in from the front with a broomstick and rap on it until it came out.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 01 Aug 2009 13:34 by bountyhunter.

More
01 Aug 2009 14:07 #310775 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic exhaust pipe?
Old Man Rock wrote:

or do like kawisakiman... Unscrew, go for a ride, twist the throttle hard a few hundred times and shoot the baffle across the highway into the woods! :ohmy: :blink: :huh: :dry:

True, he did, lost it as a matter of fact... probably stuck it into the vehicile behind him.... :laugh: :laugh:

thats how i lost the baffle from my gs1100 with a yosh header 20 yrs ago,damn bolt actually fell out on its own! :blink: :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
01 Aug 2009 17:47 #310819 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic exhaust pipe?
PLUMMEN wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

thats how i lost the baffle from my gs1100 with a yosh header 20 yrs ago,damn bolt actually fell out on its own! :blink: :laugh:

The real question is if the cop bought any of that story.:laugh:

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
01 Aug 2009 18:44 - 01 Aug 2009 18:45 #310832 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic exhaust pipe?
Old Man Rock wrote:

kawisakiman --- Uh-Oh! :ohmy:

Better head for cover before he bristles up worse than Mama Sasquatch! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 Aug 2009 18:45 by Patton.