Hot-weather oil. Input?

More
29 Jul 2009 17:03 #310178 by charwood89
Hot-weather oil. Input? was created by charwood89
I'm gearing up for a pacific coast highway trip in a week or so. In preparation for what will likely be some temperatures in the 100-degree vicinity, I'd like to run a different oil in addition to my recent rejet.

When not running in super-hot weather, I'm usually riding in coastal Washington (50-60 degrees) so I'm leaning toward the synthetic.

I'm juggling the options of running a dino 20w50 for increased viscosity and of switching to a synthetic for better stability.

- Would the Rotella T synth 5W-40 be a heavy enough oil for hot running? I like rotella because it's good oil and its cheap.

- Should I go with a 15w-40 synth to match my current weight?

- Or should I stick with dino and go to 20w50?

Thanks,

Casey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2009 17:13 #310181 by charwood89
Replied by charwood89 on topic Hot-weather oil. Input?
Also, I'm aware the flushing the engine is not necessary, but is recommended. Could I just dump a half-bottle of seafoam in and run it for 30 miles or so before doing to oil change?

More
29 Jul 2009 18:12 #310192 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Hot-weather oil. Input?
Arizona 100-115*F...20w/50 is what I run... Has it been better than 10w/40, yes but....

Coming soon an oil cooler, no other way about it...
Synthetic oil break down woould be better but from what I've researched, at these temps an oil cooler is the way to go....

20w/50 @ under 100*F, you should be fine...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
29 Jul 2009 18:22 #310194 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Hot-weather oil. Input?
What oil are you running now?

If you're runnin dino, and plan on switching to synth, thats fine if you plan on using that oil from then on.

Switching oils, no matter how much flush or whatever you decide to shorten your clutchs' life span with you use, will always leave sludges from incompatibles in the oils.
Its not terrible, it just happens. Its ok so long as your not flip/flopping oils all the time.

If say you are using castrol 10w30, go to a 10w40, or 10w50 (synth probly) if you can find it.

I don't know if I'd use the 20w** stuff, it makes a really big difference in these motors, almost sluggish.

Here's some info to ponder for the future...

Good Luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:

More
29 Jul 2009 18:53 #310203 by charwood89
I use Rotella T 15W-40 dino right now, or another high shear diesel oil of the same weight (Delo, Delvac.) I've used these oils for the past 7,000 miles, but I'd like some higher head-handling capacity. I'll look into an oil cooler, but I'm not planning on keeping the bike for much longer, so I'd just like to make sure that the oil can handle some heat for this big ride of the summer. I'll also boost my main jets from 130 to 135, even if it is a little on the rich side.

More
29 Jul 2009 19:06 #310206 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hot-weather oil. Input?
Here's what I've been using for the past 3 years - no problems. It's kind of expensive, but if you can find a friendly oil distributer rather than a bike shop it's not too bad. I was using Castrol GTX 10w40, but they changed the formula and dropped the zinc. Not so good for our cams. It sounds a bit strange, but my engine runs smoother with this oil than before.

Synthetic Bike Oil

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Jul 2009 21:47 #310272 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Hot-weather oil. Input?
charwood89 wrote:

- Should I go with a 15w-40 synth to match my current weight?

- Or should I stick with dino and go to 20w50?

Thanks,

Casey

I sometimes do a 50-50% mix with 20W-50 dino and 10W-40 synthetic for summer.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Jul 2009 21:49 #310273 by bountyhunter
charwood89 wrote:

Also, I'm aware the flushing the engine is not necessary, but is recommended. Could I just dump a half-bottle of seafoam in and run it for 30 miles or so before doing to oil change?

Flushing is not necessary and not recommended unless the engine is really filthy. The best engine flush is clean oil, it's loaded with detergent. If the engine is dirty, just do more frequent change intervals with dino oil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Jul 2009 21:55 - 29 Jul 2009 22:00 #310274 by bountyhunter
charwood89 wrote:

I use Rotella T 15W-40 dino right now, or another high shear diesel oil of the same weight (Delo, Delvac.) I've used these oils for the past 7,000 miles, but I'd like some higher head-handling capacity. I'll look into an oil cooler, but I'm not planning on keeping the bike for much longer, so I'd just like to make sure that the oil can handle some heat for this big ride of the summer. I'll also boost my main jets from 130 to 135, even if it is a little on the rich side.

The data I have seen indicates Rotella (a diesel service rated oil) has a very strong additive package that resists viscosity breakdown from the shearing of the VI's (viscosity increasers). It is one of the best dino oils around for bikes and probably would suffice for your usage.

If you want to get the best oil for severe service, I think Amsoil synthetic is tops based on what I have seen. Because it is pure true syn, it requires almost no VI's added which means it holds a very stable viscosity over use.

Regarding the ZINC: I think bikes need it and I add it to mine. You can buy it as an additive with ZDDPlus.

www.zddplus.com/

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 29 Jul 2009 22:00 by bountyhunter.

More
29 Jul 2009 23:46 #310296 by charwood89
Bountyhunter,

Yeah, that's what I've heard about Rotella and the other detergent diesel oils. That's why they're my favorite dino oils. But would the Rotella synthetic 5w40 have the same favorable high-shear performance with added high-temp stability? ...Or would the drop from 15w40 to 5w40 negate that with a viscosity decrease?

I like the 50/50 mix you mentioned. Maybe 5w40 rotella synth with a good quality 20w50 dino.

Thanks. I know there's never going to be a consensus on the "best" oil to use, but I'm picking up some really helpful info.