Handle bar vibrations hands numb

More
27 Jul 2009 13:22 #309650 by azr
Ok. Bought my first Kawasaki, 81 750 LTD. Drove it home approx. 600 KM, the farthest I have ever rode a bike by the way (just getting started with the bikes again). The handle bars have a vibration in them. I can feel it at low speeds but it can really be felt right around 4200rpm and up. It doesn't feel like the bike is falling apart but enough to make my hands all numb, right to the bone. It's two full days later and my fingers and hands still don't work right. I own a Suzuki and don't have this problem. Is this a thing with Kawasaki's? I checked the bike over and all the motor mounts are tight (of course found some small nuts loose or missing) but everything seems to be fine. The bikes running pretty good. Carbs could do with a clean and synch but she's running fairly well. The vibration will completely disappear when I'm on the highway and pull the clutch and drop the throttle. Any time the engine throttles up the vibration starts. I looked at the handle bar inserts to minimize vibration but it seems odd that I have to buy something to fix something that really shouldn't be there. Again I'm new to biking again, maybe this is normal??? maybe my hands will toughen up???? any insight will be greatly appreciated.

1980 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
27 Jul 2009 13:24 #309651 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
Put some weights in the end of the handlebars. Lead, anything susstntial should help to dampen the vibrations.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
27 Jul 2009 13:44 - 27 Jul 2009 13:53 #309657 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
All bikes do this to some degree since the motor is bolted to the frame. Some bikes do it worse, the basic harley shakes so bad it will loosen your back teeth. Some harleys have the rubber isolation motor mounts to reduce it. The kawi twins have internal balancers to minimize vibration, but the balancer chain stretches with age and it starts to get worse. Mine definitely vibrates a lot more than it used to.

The best thing I have used is the thick handgrips made out of soft foam rubber. You can get them most places that sell bike parts.

origin.jcwhitney.com/ALL-FOAM-SOFT-GRIPS...+600014737_10111.jcw

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Jul 2009 13:53 by bountyhunter.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
27 Jul 2009 14:03 #309666 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
It is the natural harmonics of the motor. My Z1 and my Susuki GS both both do it, both are inline fours. It can make a nice ride suck to say the least. Come to think of it my KZ650 does it also. I wear the gloves with the fingers cut off for long rides. there is a little padding in the palm area to help. The foam grips help but get loose in the rain from my expierence. I have heard you can fill the bars with silicone and it helps a little but have never tried it.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
27 Jul 2009 14:15 #309668 by 1973Z
Replied by 1973Z on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
OK here's what I came up with over a couple of years dealing with this phenomenon: Thick foam rubber grips help, but stopping vibration for me started with getting carbs rebuilt and synchronized, it makes a difference, but also I took .50 calibre round lead bullets and gently tapped them to make thick discs that fit in to the handlebars, then installing bar end mirrors tapped in to the lead with a rubber mallet. Sound crazy? Maybe, but I can read a license plate on a car following me in the mirror and can ride more than an hour or two without my hands turning numb. I have a bike closing in on 80,000 miles by the end of this riding season and I'm sure there are reasons for the vibration I haven't detected but this worked. The added weight of the lead filled bars makes no difference. I have superbike bars and there's a big opening on the bottom of the middle part where they clamp on and I just stuck some rubber fuel line in there so the lead is on both sides of the bars but not the middle.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
27 Jul 2009 14:54 #309680 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
Hi AZR,

All this advice is good stuff but since you really don't have anything to compare to I think it'd be a good thing if you would put you home town in your signature line and ask another KZR member to show up and swap bikes with you for a mile or two.

While it's true that all bikes vibrate to some extent, your description doesn't sound usual for a Kaw four. Is your bike a four or a twin?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
27 Jul 2009 15:17 #309686 by stardon
Replied by stardon on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
My boss had this problem on his Honda CX500. He bought a "Bar Snake". It's a solid rubber rod that goes inside the handle bar tube. It took both of us and lots of soap to get it through the bar. He says it works great and reduces the vibration a lot.

More
27 Jul 2009 16:10 #309699 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
I have found weights do work to a degree but also the handlebars themselves. Some are thin walled. You get what you pay for. It's not to get rid of the vibes but to change the frequency. Also the higher bars seems to complicate it more. Bar Snake is interesting but can't say, never used one. Makes sense tho. Good grips are a must and padded gloves help.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
27 Jul 2009 17:11 - 28 Jul 2009 06:10 #309709 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
Wow, 600km. Quite the ride. Hope you had good weather. I'm wondering if I would trust mine that far.

Anyway, A carb sysnch should help. I have a small amount of vibration in my bars and the right hand mirror gets a bit fuzzy at 100+km/h. The left hand mirror is pretty good. Not perfectly stable, just pretty good.

I found these grips from Z1E to work well
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=428
I also get numbhand if I grip to tightly which I tended to do when I got the bike first.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 28 Jul 2009 06:10 by JR.

• ArthurGoVroom
  • User
  • I'd rather ride it than shine it
More
27 Jul 2009 20:00 #309766 by ArthurGoVroom
Replied by ArthurGoVroom on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
I have a KZ900, it has a vibration similar to yours that goes away when you clutch it and let the engine idle. I believe my bike is due for a valve lash adjustment, and then probably will require synchronizing the carbs afterward. Anything to make all the cylinders run equally should help with overall engine vibration.

The handgrips I have have a gel inside a rubber cover. I'm not sure if they're still made, as these were installed by my father some 20 years ago, but they seem to make it comfortable. I can bare-hand it on my 50 mile commute and not have much hand fatigue. Hope this helps.

1976 KZ900A4, 4-1 header, rear lowering kit, grab bar removed, still shining and painting parts as time permits

More
28 Jul 2009 04:51 - 28 Jul 2009 05:02 #309806 by Peterbilt
Replied by Peterbilt on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
The stock bars on my KZ made my wrists bend at a funny angle, which always put my throttle hand to sleep within 20 minutes. After I switched to superbike bars, even though the vibration is still there, it doesn't happen any more. The new seating position did wonders for my back too. Next up is a new set of rearsets to move my feet back a little and I think I will be able to ride all day.
That is if it ever stops raining around here!!!

76 KZ 900 A4 Andrews 2x cams V@H exhaust 28mm Mikuni carbs off a KZ1000 rejected with accelerator pump removed and pod filters
Last edit: 28 Jul 2009 05:02 by Peterbilt.

More
28 Jul 2009 06:06 #309813 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Handle bar vibrations hands numb
Put some buckshot in the bars, get bar end mirrors that have the rubber mounts, grab on foam grips and good gloves.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125