'77 KZ650 hard shifting

More
25 Jul 2009 18:39 #309299 by mzandmz
'77 KZ650 hard shifting was created by mzandmz
I recently had the case split and replaced the sec. shaft bearings,All other bearings were good. It shifted great before.Now with the cluch in, it will shift fine into first,then it shifts a little hard into second and so on. I've made sure the cluch was adjusted. At an Idle you can't shift back into neutral. While in first I have to use my heal to shift up and it always goes to second. I can spend a minute using my hand carefuly to bump it from second into neutral. Its got new 10w40 vavoline motorcycle oil in it.It kinda acks like that double clicky thing that grabs the shaft that turns to move the shifting forks just inside the housing on the shifter shaft is whats doing it. I thought someone else might of had the same problem and could give me a better Idea of what its doing. After I got it back to gether there was a short time that it shifted normaly now its not. Whay could of changed????

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2009 18:52 #309301 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic '77 KZ650 hard shifting
I've read that Valvoline engine oil is giving problems like you're having. I'd recommend switching to the Shell Rotella 15W40 oil and adjust your clutch again.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Jul 2009 20:49 #309330 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic '77 KZ650 hard shifting
Oiled the clutch cable and all the moving parts to it from lever to long shaft that goes to the ball bearing and plunger. Reajusted all to specs. Still hard shifting. Is it the new oil(10w40 Vavoline) or an internal prob???? My Toes are sore :unsure:

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
25 Jul 2009 21:33 #309341 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic '77 KZ650 hard shifting
It should have a neutral finder. I am not sure how it works (haven't been in the transmission yet) but that may be the problem. It may try for neutral and get boogered on the way through. Just an idea, but if it worked before and you didn't touch it, hard to guess what is causing it now. If you played with the transmission or shifting at all while working on it, may have been something there that threw it out.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust