Cam chain adjuster

More
25 Jul 2009 16:57 #309287 by markc3wa
Cam chain adjuster was created by markc3wa
I'm doing a valve adjustment on my KZ650D1. Part of the procedure involves removing the cam chain adjuster. On this model, an "automatic" adjuster is used. I've actually used it (or *thought* I'd used it as described in my manual) to peridically adjust the tension on the cam chain. Now that it's out, I want to clean it, along with all the other aluminum cover pieces. Close inspection reveals that some PO had snapped the head off the bolt that runs through the adjuster and just stuck a nut on the end, a nut that does nothing but unscrew. I can certainly use an ez out to get the bolt out of the adjuster and get a new bolt but does it make sense to use the auto adjuster? I'm dying to hear your thoughts about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jul 2009 17:07 #309289 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Cam chain adjuster
APE makes a manual adjuster, or you can build one yourself. If its worn though you put a new one in before the guides/ sprockets get bad. Tubasaki has a kit for the chain that has a master link. Not that difficult to do, just don't loose the chain when pulling through the motor. A extra set of trained hands is good, you on the chains and someone on turning the crank.
Cheers.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
25 Jul 2009 18:24 #309296 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Cam chain adjuster
markc3wa wrote:

....PO had snapped the head off the bolt that runs through the adjuster and just stuck a nut on the end, a nut that does nothing but unscrew. ..........quote]

Can you put another nut on the bolt and then unscrew the bolt by turning the inner nut ?

I have an APE manual one - also available from Z1 Enterprises - on mine at the moment. Works fine. Easy to install. I took the automatic original one off to clean and managed to strip a thread.:(

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• markk53
  • User
  • Just love the old superbike & flat track look...
More
15 Aug 2009 09:36 - 15 Aug 2009 09:38 #314053 by markk53
Replied by markk53 on topic Cam chain adjuster
I have a 550 Zephyr, close "cousin" of the KZ650/550, and have a manual tensioner that I now am producing for almost half the cost of the APE unit and include the gasket and hardware. I did it because of lack of response from APE on what would fit my bike. I also did it with my other bike, a KLX and am making them for Suzukis. I've sold about 25 KLX and 5 Zephyr units on the understanding if the buyer doesn't like what they get I'll refund the purchase price. Here is the diamond body tensioner in my bike.

I will have the square bodied tensioner available within about a week. More details at www.bikepics.com/pictures/1683190/

I'm a teacher and this is my hobby that will maybe defray a bit of my motorcycle habit and keep some Kaw in-line 4's together.

1990 Kawasaki Zephyr 550
1995 Kawasaki KLX650C dual sport
1978 Yamaha SR500 Streettracker

Produce cam chain tensioners www.bikepics.com/pictures/1683190/
Last edit: 15 Aug 2009 09:38 by markk53.