Clutch adjustment

• Davestradamus
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jul 2009 12:59 #309089 by Davestradamus
Clutch adjustment was created by Davestradamus
First off, I would like to thank everyone for their input about my clutch cable replacement questions! The cable is in but the screw and locknut need to be adjusted. After replacing the cable the lever did not work the clutch. I adjusted the screw and locknut under the small plate on the sprocket cover. Now the bike rides but slips when I use 1/2 throttle.

Can somebody explain how the mechanism works so I can better understan how to adjust it? I rode it 10 miles and it seemed fine except under strong acceleration.

Thanks!!
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2009 13:23 #309093 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch adjustment
When you adjust the screw & locknut you turn the screw in just until it touches the rod then back it out about 1/4 turn.

The way the clutch works is when you pull in the clutch lever the cable pulls on the mechanism that pushes the screw against the rod which in turn pushes the clutch spring plate. This relieves the spring pressure on the clutch plates which allows the clutch to disengage. When you release the clutch lever the screw retracts and should allow the clutch rod to return to its normal position with no rod pressure on the spring plate. This allows the spring plate to exert full pressure on the clutch plates. By putting a quarter turn of slack in the screw you ensure there is no pressure on the clutch rod that could lead to clutch slippage. If you have adjusted the clutch cable properly and know for certain that the screw is not pushing on the clutch rod when the lever is released the clutch shouldn’t slip. If is does, you may need to open up the right engine cover and examine the clutch plates and springs. It could be that the clutch friction plates are worn beyond the service limit or (less likely) that the springs aren’t adjusted properly. If you decide to do this, be sure to have the correct manual and a torque wrench or you may easily end up over tightening the spring bolts (they don’t need a lot of torque). Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Jul 2009 13:30 #309096 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Clutch adjustment
Davestradamus wrote:

First off, I would like to thank everyone for their input about my clutch cable replacement questions! The cable is in but the screw and locknut need to be adjusted. After replacing the cable the lever did not work the clutch. I adjusted the screw and locknut under the small plate on the sprocket cover. Now the bike rides but slips when I use 1/2 throttle.

Can somebody explain how the mechanism works so I can better understan how to adjust it? I rode it 10 miles and it seemed fine except under strong acceleration.

Thanks!!
David

Make SURE when you adjust the nut and screw that you back it out until there is NO tension at all, turn in until you just touch, then back out 1/4 turn.

ALSO: be careful, when you try to turn the nut to tighten it, the screw may turn with it and tighten up the adjustment. make sure you get the screw set right and keep it there when the nut is locked down.

If it suddenly started slipping, probably not adjusted right. If it gradually starts slipping, probably weak clutch springs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin