550 to 615- just bore the sleeves?

More
13 Mar 2006 19:26 #30827 by Trav
So I got the engine all torn down to the crankcase.. Thanks beer! :ohmy: and well long story short, I might as well punch the thing out.

So if I get the wiseco 615cc big bore kit (which includes pistons/rings/pins/circlips/headgasket) is this something that just needs to have the stock cleeves bored out? By looking at the sleeve thickness, I would think so, although a friend suggested that I should see if I needed to resleeve or jsut bore it out.

Also.. does anybody with a 550 know how to get the front cam chain guide out of the jug assembly? I can get it to move and wiggle around but.. well if you have ever had a 550 apart, then I guess you might know what I mean. I have a later model, may be different than an ealier one though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2006 19:37 #30838 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic 550 to 615- just bore the sleeves?
According to the Wiseco site, "cylinder boring only", so your stock sleeves will work. as to the chain guide, I think theres a screw on the bottom side out of direct sight and easy to miss, you'll need an impact to take this out if its there.
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
13 Mar 2006 20:20 #30869 by Trav
Replied by Trav on topic 550 to 615- just bore the sleeves?
alright, that's what I'd thought, but good to have some confirmation.

The guide doesn't seem to be statically attached.. It has little square pegs on each side at the top and bottom that fit into notches top and bottom in the open center cam chain area of the jugs. I can gentle force it up and out of the notches at the top, and then it will come out of the notches at the bottom, but with the "square pegs" on each side, I can't pull it out the top because of the bottom ones, and vice versa. I was thinking maybe those "pegs" pull out? I finagled the thing around a good bit and it will move all over but not come out. I will have to take a pic or post a thread of it's own..

More
13 Mar 2006 23:13 #30914 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic 550 to 615- just bore the sleeves?
It is a simple bore in. We used to do a lot of those.

Jay

More
14 Mar 2006 04:35 #30942 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic 550 to 615- just bore the sleeves?
My brother had that kit in his GPz550 - quick little bike.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2006 09:21 #31027 by tellietubbie
Replied by tellietubbie on topic 550 to 615- just bore the sleeves?
Hi Trav, I tried to remove the cam chain guide on my 500 and ended up forcing it:angry: now its partially split on its reverse side and needs replacing.Clymer just say "take it out", fat lot of use! Moral: don't force it!
Best of Luck.Sorry I can't help more.
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,16728/catid,2/

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2006/03/14 12:28

More
14 Mar 2006 14:49 #31125 by Trav
yea.. fucking clymer. I knew better than to try and force it while the jugs were still mated to the case, but now that they are off, I can pop it loose from its location, but it still seems to be unremovable.

bastard thing. I guess it's not a big deal to stay in, but I plan on cleaning everything down in the parts cleaner tank at work.. it would suck if it soaks up solvent and releases it into the oil or something.. and it'll be a bitch to try not to get it wet.

Attachments:

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2006 18:29 #31174 by tellietubbie
Replied by tellietubbie on topic 550 to 615- just bore the sleeves?
Hi Trav, you know the thing Must come out because spares ARE available,I'll be replacing mine and I've no idea how I'm gonna get it in place without damaging the *****:unsure: See piccy "Results acheived with FORCE"!:sick: Trouble is, I don't know whether I buggered it forcing it out[for the same reasons as you],or it was already deteriorating[bike is a 1980 Z500.Let me know if you find out owt pls. Sorry for the crap piccy:laugh:My teenager mauled the lense!

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2006/03/14 21:30

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2006/03/14 21:32
Attachments:

More
15 Mar 2006 09:36 #31340 by jimyed
Replied by jimyed on topic 550 to 615- just bore the sleeves?
I am having the same problem getting that cam guide out of my 550 jugs as well . I was too stupid to post a question tho...:blush:

I have left it in so far and worked around it.

If anyone figures this please post.

More
19 Mar 2006 20:11 #32687 by Trav
I think I should make a new thread reguarding this (with a link to this thread for reference) and see what happens.