slipping clutch

• Shoe48
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
13 Mar 2006 17:34 #30796 by Shoe48
slipping clutch was created by Shoe48
I got my KZ 550 running over the last few days but the clutch is slipping under heavy loads or pulling out in traffic .. I have it apart but dont see anything out of place ,, The clutch plates all look good and I think in order .. Anyone ever have this problem and if so what might I be looking for ??? The clutch basket ,, the back plate of it ? is suppose to have springs as a torque softener ? Right ?? it just moves back and forth No springs ?? This is new to me any other clutch I have had apart always has springs ..any info will be helpful ..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2006 18:02 #30805 by NOS
Replied by NOS on topic slipping clutch
As far as I know you should have 5 springs on the pressure plate. If you are running with no springs on the clutch I think it would slip under any condition.

Post edited by: NOS, at: 2006/03/13 21:03
Attachments:

• Shoe48
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2006 18:58 #30819 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic slipping clutch
Partnumber 4 is where the springs are missing I think anyway ,, Thanks for the pic by the way :)

More
13 Mar 2006 19:13 #30824 by NOS
Replied by NOS on topic slipping clutch
Shoe48 wrote:

Partnumber 4 is where the springs are missing I think anyway ,, Thanks for the pic by the way :)

No Prob B)
Just hope that helps. I'm going to attach a pic of the wear limits and specs for the clutch. Then you should be able to check it all while you have it out of the case. :)

Attachments:

More
14 Mar 2006 10:10 #31067 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic slipping clutch
Can't remember if the clutch basket has springs in it like the 1000. Don't have one around here to check.

You might want to call Jeff at Z1 Ent,. If it is supposed to have springs, he may have a good one.

Jay

More
14 Mar 2006 13:22 #31107 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic slipping clutch
The clutch basket really has nothing to do with clutch slip whether it has springs or not, if your talking springs at the back of the basket. Of course your normal clutch springs 14 in the diagram are important. It's really a simple clutch. Clutch basket 4 is always turning along with your fiber plates 7. Clutch hub 6 is splined to plates 8. So when fiber plates 7 and steel plates 8 are held together by spring pressure the clutch is locked. When the lever is pulled in pressure plate 13 is pressed out so the plates no longer have pressure and are no longer locked. Assuming your clutch cable is not set to tight, there is really only the springs and plates that can possibly make a clutch slip. Possible "too slippery" of oil or additives too, but these are more or less urban legend at least with these clutches. I've never heard of any oil or additive causing clutch slippage first hand, just magazine stories which are just that many times.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Shoe48
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Mar 2006 14:07 #31116 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic slipping clutch
I read over the service manual today and see there are three clutch adjustments to make on the KZ ,, I will check them over now I know ,, as for oil making a clutch slip I uesed a Syn. Blend in my Honda and Yes the Clutch started slipping , I asked an oil rep at the Bike show in Cleveland about it and he said that automotive oil has more ??? than bike oil so it was possible that a bike clutch could slip.. But then he was trying to sell me 8.00 a quart oil too .. I have since changed to oil in my honda but dont have my Body work back from the painter yet to try it out ,, .. Thanks for the replies ,, Shoeman