starter clutch and hard shifting?

More
17 Jul 2009 21:40 - 17 Jul 2009 21:40 #307717 by tyme chaser
starter clutch and hard shifting? was created by tyme chaser
i bought an 84 gpz 550 off a friend with a bad starter clutch, and i have a few questions that i could not find answers to.

first at the time that the starter clutch went out it became difficult to get the bike to change gears are these two problems related? if so how?

second i get the bike home and the starter seams to work fine " at least the 6 or so times i tried it in the garage" can a starter clutch be an intermittent problem or once they go there done?

and lastly will i damage anything riding it with the bad starter clutch. i have a long bike trip on Wednesday 700+ miles

i appreciate any insight or help you guys could give me

thank you

84 gpz 550
Last edit: 17 Jul 2009 21:40 by tyme chaser.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2009 22:09 - 17 Jul 2009 22:10 #307720 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic starter clutch and hard shifting?
On the 750 twins, the starter clutch can lock up the crank to the starter which kills the engine and locks the rear wheel while you are going. Some people took them off altogether because of that. I'm not sure what yours does if it goes bad, but it ain't good.

I believe a bad starter clutch can be intermittent since it has three roller bearings and two could be working and one stuck.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 Jul 2009 22:10 by bountyhunter.

More
17 Jul 2009 22:15 #307721 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic starter clutch and hard shifting?
The over running starter clutch on these older bikes are made up of three rollers and springs that over time and use develop wear and start to slip requiring replacement.

On most of the Kawasaki's the starter clutch is behind the alternator magnetic rotor requiring the left side engine cover be removed, the rotor be pulled usung a special tool and new springs and rollers be installed.

As for hard shifting, I'd suggest changing the oil to Shell Rotella 20W50 or 15W40 as some of the oil for cars contain a friction modifier that is hard on wet plate clutches and could affect the starter clutch causing it to slip.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)