83 KZ650 CSR Cam Chain

More
10 Jul 2009 08:11 #305864 by gargoyle
83 KZ650 CSR Cam Chain was created by gargoyle
Hey How's it going?

Me I've got a cam chain rattle in my 83 csr. I checked the chain when I re shimmed the valves a coupl eof weeks ago and it's at the far end of the usable range (according to the FSM any way)

I saw that Z1 has a Hy vo chain with a master link. Has any one here replaced the endless kaw hyvo chain with the z1 master link. I called Z1 the other day just to make sure that it was a master for the Hy-vo and it is. now they did say that the chain comes as an endless loop and it up to me to splice in the master (They said something about reliability issues)

Or Should I go with a ape manual tensioner that gives me more adjustment range. The only thing that worries me about this setup is running a worn chain on the cam and crank sprockets. I really don't what to have to replace those too.

I'd ranter not have to split the case if I can at all avoid it.

Thanks Gargoyle

1978 KZ650sr
Woodstock, Ontario
Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2009 08:21 #305866 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic 83 KZ650 CSR Cam Chain
Everyone seems to have a difference of opinion on the cam chain (from what I've seen).

The guy who did my engine was far from thrilled that I was looking at using a master link cam chain my Kz900. I let him split the cases (he welded the crank, checked the oil pump, cleaned the oil sreen, cleaned up 2nd gear on the transmission and other such stuff as well) and put a continuous chain in when he reassembled it.

More
10 Jul 2009 08:33 #305867 by gargoyle
Replied by gargoyle on topic 83 KZ650 CSR Cam Chain
Thanks DoubleDub

I may just have to bite the bullet. I just don't want to be with out a bike in the middle of summer. Splitting the cases might take me a couple of months.

1978 KZ650sr
Woodstock, Ontario
Canada

More
10 Jul 2009 13:22 #305902 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 83 KZ650 CSR Cam Chain
gargoyle wrote:

Hey How's it going?

Me I've got a cam chain rattle in my 83 csr.

Thanks Gargoyle

From what I READ, you can change the cam chain without splitting the cases or even dropping the oil pan. You split the old chain and then attach the new chain to it's end and carefully keep it tense and turn the engine to feed the new chain in and around the lower gear. when the ends are back to the top, you join them with the master link.

Obviously, an endless chain is preferred but a properly installed master will probably work a long time.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
10 Jul 2009 15:44 #305913 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic 83 KZ650 CSR Cam Chain
If you can verify that your actual cam chain isnt worn out to the point of damaging your sprockets. I would suggest that your problem is the "cam chain tensioner spring"
I had the same problem.

Look up the specs and correct length the spring should be. then measure yours. You can find the info in the correct book for your bike.

If the spring is wore out it will be shorter then a good one therefore causeing slack in the chain that produces chain clatter.;)

Good luck!

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

More
11 Jul 2009 06:31 #306148 by gargoyle
I've had the whole tensioner assembly off the bike and everything measured up to spec. Both springs.
The tensioner I have now is the cross wedge type. Where the spring only advances the push rod to take up the chain slack when needed. Then the cross wedge holds the push rod from backing out. I can push the cross wedge all the way into the tensioner housing. FSM says that the cross wedge should stick out aout 10mm. There is a small limiter dog screw that sits in a slot in the push rod keeping the push rod from exting into the engin too far. My push rod seemes to be at the end of this adjustment.

With the valve cover off is can bush back on the chain guide and it intern pushes on the tensioner push rod which pops out the cross wedge(the cross wedge cap and spring are removed) When I release the chain guide everything pops back so things aren't bound up. Everything points to the chain.

1978 KZ650sr
Woodstock, Ontario
Canada

More
11 Jul 2009 07:09 #306156 by gargoyle
Yeah bountyhounter that's what I've read too. I've just never done it b4 and was wondering if there any gothcas that I should be careful of.

1978 KZ650sr
Woodstock, Ontario
Canada

More
11 Jul 2009 13:41 #306216 by bountyhunter
gargoyle wrote:

Yeah bountyhounter that's what I've read too. I've just never done it b4 and was wondering if there any gothcas that I should be careful of.

I think you have to be careful never to let the cam chain get slack as you turn it because it can kink on the crankshaft drive gear and really screw things up. Probably a two man job so there is one person to rotate the crankshaft and one person to tend the chain.

I think if worse comes to worse, you can drop the pan and get at both sides of the gear if I remember correctly.

The other gotcha is to make very sure you stuff lots of rags down into the top of the engine opening when you are working on the chain with small parts like the master link and clip in your hands. If they fall down, you're screwed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 Jul 2009 16:04 #306267 by gargoyle
Yeah

I gotta keep the cam surface clean if any debris especially if I wind up having to grind the pin out of the original chain. What about riveting the new master link anything I should be careful of there?

1978 KZ650sr
Woodstock, Ontario
Canada

More
11 Jul 2009 17:54 #306304 by bountyhunter
gargoyle wrote:

Yeah

I gotta keep the cam surface clean if any debris especially if I wind up having to grind the pin out of the original chain. What about riveting the new master link anything I should be careful of there?

I've never done it, but there is a dedicated tool for pressing the rivet with. I think Z1 sells it or you may be able to rent one from a shop.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 Jul 2009 17:57 #306305 by bountyhunter

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• markk53
  • User
  • Just love the old superbike & flat track look...
More
15 Aug 2009 10:18 #314064 by markk53
Replied by markk53 on topic 83 KZ650 CSR Cam Chain
gargoyle wrote:

Or Should I go with a ape manual tensioner that gives me more adjustment range. The only thing that worries me about this setup is running a worn chain on the cam and crank sprockets. I really don't what to have to replace those too.

Thanks Gargoyle

Two thoughts.

One, if the masterlink is put on properly there should be no issue, since the cam chain will only rotate one way. The link lock can't be knocked off like it could on a drive chain.

Two, I don't want to be too blatant yet, but I am making manual tensioners that are selling at about 1/2 the cost of APE. They didn't contact me about one to fit my bike so I started making one and just made extras. I've sold about 25 for KLX650s and another 5 for KZ/GPz/ZN engines with the diamond shaped tensioner bodies. I'll have the square bodies soon, I have 4 sold as soon as done. It's a hobby driven by being ignored by a manufacturer. I even include the OEM gasket needed.

1990 Kawasaki Zephyr 550
1995 Kawasaki KLX650C dual sport
1978 Yamaha SR500 Streettracker

Produce cam chain tensioners www.bikepics.com/pictures/1683190/