1983 spectre 750 bogs down when choke is off

More
03 Jul 2009 17:06 - 03 Jul 2009 17:07 #304208 by sakiguy
Was wondering if anyone is familiar with this model? It is a shaft drive. I just bought it today and it wants to bog down all the time when I have the choke all the way off. If If I have the choke lever a little bit raised, it will run and idle pretty descent.

1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft
Last edit: 03 Jul 2009 17:07 by sakiguy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2009 19:02 #304243 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1983 spectre 750 bogs down when choke is off
sakiguy wrote:

Was wondering if anyone is familiar with this model? It is a shaft drive. I just bought it today and it wants to bog down all the time when I have the choke all the way off. If If I have the choke lever a little bit raised, it will run and idle pretty decent.

That is the definitive test to show it is running lean. Could be vacuum leak, fuel levels in the carbs, crud blocking jets, incorrect sync, wrong jets.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Jul 2009 20:30 #304264 by sakiguy
Replied by sakiguy on topic 1983 spectre 750 bogs down when choke is off
bountyhunter wrote:

sakiguy wrote:

Was wondering if anyone is familiar with this model? It is a shaft drive. I just bought it today and it wants to bog down all the time when I have the choke all the way off. If If I have the choke lever a little bit raised, it will run and idle pretty decent.

That is the definitive test to show it is running lean. Could be vacuum leak, fuel levels in the carbs, crud blocking jets, incorrect sync, wrong jets.

I do have a service manual, but if you were me where would you check first?

Also I remember reading the forums a couple of years ago and hearing good things about sea foam motor treatment. Will putting some of that stuff in my tank and perhaps running that for a while help clean the varnish and possible junk in the carbs/jets/pilot jet? I do have a can and it says just adding it to the tank will clean the carbs/jets. Bike has had 12k miles put on it and has seen little use for the past month according to the previous owner.

1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

More
03 Jul 2009 21:24 - 03 Jul 2009 21:26 #304279 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1983 spectre 750 bogs down when choke is off
sakiguy wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

sakiguy wrote:

Also I remember reading the forums a couple of years ago and hearing good things about sea foam motor treatment. Will putting some of that stuff in my tank and perhaps running that for a while help clean the varnish and possible junk in the carbs/jets/pilot jet? I do have a can and it says just adding it to the tank will clean the carbs/jets. Bike has had 12k miles put on it and has seen little use for the past month according to the previous owner.

Seafoam could help, but I would take the tank off and clean it, clean the petcock assembly, install inline filters, clean and adjust the carbs and make the problem go away permanently.

If there is dirt in the fuel system, you will keep having problems.

has seen little use for the past month according to the previous owner.

That's why I would go through the fuel system. You could have hardened gas all through the carbs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Jul 2009 21:26 by bountyhunter.

More
04 Jul 2009 22:18 #304495 by sakiguy
Replied by sakiguy on topic 1983 spectre 750 bogs down when choke is off
bountyhunter wrote:

sakiguy wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

sakiguy wrote:

Seafoam could help, but I would take the tank off and clean it, clean the petcock assembly, install inline filters, clean and adjust the carbs and make the problem go away permanently.

If there is dirt in the fuel system, you will keep having problems.

has seen little use for the past month according to the previous owner.

That's why I would go through the fuel system. You could have hardened gas all through the carbs.

I rode it around for a while earlier today and still had the same issue.

After that I did take the old gas out of the tank and put some fresh fuel, and about half a bottle sea foam / 8oz which is all I had left. Ran around for maybe 20 minutes and it ran without the choke on even at idle! I was pretty amazed. Ran it for another 20 minutes, and the bike started running better and better. It was still running a bit rough at idle, but I kept running it for another 20 minutes around town and eventually even at idle, it started sounding good. I am now a true believer in sea foam.

Now I guess you could argue that it could of been just the fresh fuel, or just running it for a while, but I doubt it. Because when I bought it from the owner I had to do a 40 minute ride on the bike to get it home, and it would always want to stall at idle, even with the choke half way up!...even at the end of the ride when it should have been warmed up...it would still stall... and I filled the tank up with good fuel before taking it home, though it still had some old gas in it however. But I'm certain sea foam did the trick, and that is some amazing stuff. I am definitely going to get another bottle and run my bike on it and see if it continues to improve. But the bike is running very good now regardless, and I can leave it on idle without the choke on..and it won't stall and it definitely sounds a lot better and runs a lot better.

Any way I am still going to install those inline filters and do a lot of the stuff suggested but am just pretty amazed at what sea foam did for my bike.

1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft