head studs

More
12 Mar 2006 14:00 #30395 by kevco
head studs was created by kevco
I pulled my head off to fix an oil leak. 3 of the studs came out in the process. The nuts were rusted in place and the studs ended up unscrewing from the crankcase. After some kroil and a torch I got the nuts off. When I went to put the 3 studs back into the crank case I found they seemed way too long.

The three in red are the offending studs. The one in blue is shows how long they should be. They are only hand tightened so I'm sure they can go in further but I checked the parts diagram from kawasaki and the studs measure about 128mm which would seem to indicate they are the wrong studs. The 92004B's are supposed to be 108.5mm. With just hand tightening they seem to be the same lenght as the 92004C studs which are supposed to be 128.5mm.

I know when I removed them they were not sticking out an abnormal amount. Could someone have drilled the holes deeper to make the longer studs work? If find somewhere to order the correct length I have issues torquing to the proper spec with deeper holes? With the nice weather I was really hoping to get things back together today but I decided it'd be better to get some advice and wait. :unsure:

Post edited by: kevco, at: 2006/03/12 17:02

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2006 16:59 #30430 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic head studs
did you measure the studs before you put them in?if they arent too far out from where theyre supposed to be try turning them a little more but if they start to bind take them back out ,pull the barrel and check the holes .:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
12 Mar 2006 17:06 #30434 by kevco
Replied by kevco on topic head studs
They are only in as far as I can finger tighten them at the moment so I just pulled them back out to measure them. They are definately longer than the parts diagram indicates which is why I was concerned. I was gonna just take some vice grips and try to see how far in I could get them but I thought I might check for some advice first. They were working before so... /shrug

More
12 Mar 2006 20:39 #30513 by kevco
Replied by kevco on topic head studs
Well, I guess it was just a false alarm. I'm completely new to this sort of thing and I guess I just freaked out a little when the studs were longer than the diagram specifies. Nevertheless they screwed in to the proper depth just fine with some vice grips and some patience (clamp, quarter turn, unclamp, repeat). I've got the head back on and the camshafts installed but it was getting late so I'll leave the final details until later in the week.

I'm still a little puzzled why the dimensions are off though. /shrug