Worn out cam chain

More
14 Mar 2006 19:52 #31207 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Worn out cam chain
That's exactly what I-We did,Chris(Tony and I)to put the master link together on MY new timing chain,last year.Tony brought a chunk of steel(a HEAVY chunk)to use as a back-stop during the peening stage of it all.I held the steel block in place,while Tony smacked the opposite end of the one pin,and then the other.
Don't get it too tight,where a kink will form in the chain though...just enough to keep the pins from coming out.(and then maybe one more hit.LOL)
Has it been working?...well...I haven't posted that I blew My timing chain!LOL...I put on over 1000 miles last season,and no complaints.
If I'm not mistaken...on My 1000 engine,when We compared the length of the old chain,to the new one...I seem to remember there being a difference of about 3/8's of an inch between the 2(total length of chain)B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2006 21:36 #31238 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Worn out cam chain
Sandy wrote:

That's exactly what I-We did,Chris(Tony and I)to put the master link together on MY new timing chain,last year.Tony brought a chunk of steel(a HEAVY chunk)to use as a back-stop during the peening stage of it all.I held the steel block in place,while Tony smacked the opposite end of the one pin,and then the other.
Don't get it too tight,where a kink will form in the chain though...just enough to keep the pins from coming out.(and then maybe one more hit.LOL)
Has it been working?...well...I haven't posted that I blew My timing chain!LOL...I put on over 1000 miles last season,and no complaints.
If I'm not mistaken...on My 1000 engine,when We compared the length of the old chain,to the new one...I seem to remember there being a difference of about 3/8's of an inch between the 2(total length of chain)B)

Interesting, I didn't even think to compare the chain length. Actually Sandy I was worried about the master link pins being secured well enough and I asked Tony about what you guys did. That tool that I bought flares the ends of the link pins, but I wanted a dented shoulder, like the factory issue. What is that called again "staking"?, or something. I'm glad that I bought two master links because I buggered one, over flared the end of a master link pin and it kind of locked the link up, exactly the way you described. I had my first link too tight and by the time I was done loosening it up, I didn't like the look of it, so used the second master. I kind of learned what not to do, on the first one.;) It was handy though to be able to push the pins out with that doohicky tool. Yes my first time cam and drive chain installations worked also and I learned a couple of things. With help from you/Tony and many others on this site. That was last winter with a cheesey Clymer service manual. After scoring a real Kawasaki Factory Service Manual of ebay, I have really seen da light !:silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.