bolt on mufflers

• irish mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz 650 b3 rat rod
More
27 Jun 2009 15:25 #302527 by irish mike
bolt on mufflers was created by irish mike
hellow everybody-im working on my firstproject bike -79 kz 650-b;pipes are shot in the silencer area-do not want to replace the whole system-does anybody know if bolt ons work on the 650[how much pipe isneeded to secure the new clip on]or where should i cut the pipe to fit the new one[dosnt seem to be much space to fit the bolt-on-maybe 2.5 inches -is this enough?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
More
27 Jun 2009 19:17 #302568 by 78z1Joe
Replied by 78z1Joe on topic bolt on mufflers
Hey, way back when, my mufflers rotted out and I replaced them with a pair from Jardine. They have been fine for the past 25 years. I think MAC makes them, maybe others today. Try to hold up the new muffler to the old and where the muffler attaches to the bike at the rear,(mine was the passenger footpeg bolt, you may have to get a longer bolt) then mark the pipe to cut where the new muffler meets it. The old pipe should slide into the new muffler so leave some extra. The cut should be after the collector pipe and crossover pipe. Remember, you can always cut it shorter but can't cut it longer.:ohmy: Try to make a smooth cut, and it helps to have a helper. After it's marked, you may want to remove it from the bike to make a cleaner and easier cut. Use a hacksaw or sawzall or a pipe cutter and a file to smooth the cut edge, it will be sharp. The instructions that come with it are helpful. You can do it, good luck.

1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike

More
27 Jun 2009 19:36 #302572 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic bolt on mufflers
If you haven't purchased any mufflers yet, Dunstalls are sold here n there for about $109 pair.