Clutch suddenly wont engage. 76 kz 750 twin

More
26 Jun 2009 14:19 #302289 by Ashbane
Drove to work just fine this morning. End of the day I put it in neutral, start it up, let it run a little, put it in gear, and when I let the clutch out nothing happens. Clutch cable is fairly new and still attached, plenty of tension on it. I can shift up and down from 1st-neutral (light comes on)-2nd but nothing happens when I release the clutch in any gear.

I dont really know what range of gears I have. It didnt seem like I was going through all 5 gears when shifting up and down, could only go in and out of neutral up and down.

Does this sound lile something a novice like me could take care of?

1976 KZ750 B1 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2009 15:47 #302302 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Clutch suddenly wont engage. 76 kz 750 twin
First thing is to take the left engine side cover off and check the throw out assembly to make sure it is working. It should move in and out when you twist the lever arm on it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Jun 2009 08:04 #302427 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Clutch suddenly wont engage. 76 kz 750 twin
When the bike is stationary, 1st and neutral are the only choices available. A small device that Kawi calls a "neutral finder" prevents other gears from being selectd, hence making neutral eisier to find.
+1 on the release mechanism. Also be certain that the bike is pointed in a safe direction as you test it, because it might unexpededly release. A wheelie through the back wall of the garage is an ugly thing.:(

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough