oil and smoke coming from stator cover

More
25 Jun 2009 20:34 #302128 by Tedster
well i fired my kz1100 up for the first time since i purchased it not runable,
i rebult the carbs and put them on fired it up sounded great fast throttle response,i hhad it on the jack stand looking for leaks in the carbs or lines or under the bike because i changed the oil,had two leaks one on the gas tank from taking off the pet cock and cleaning it,i think its the O-Ring seal under it.
and the other leak coming from stator cover i took the cover off and oil was dripping pretty good,i have a clymer
book but it don't show alot about the only thing that can be leaking is the CRANK SEAL am i correct.
and the smoke i seen was coming from the stator wires coming
out of bottom of case i think the oil running out of there softened the wires and from rubbing on the case got a bear spot and grounded out on the cover,can you purchase new pickup sensors for the stator with 2 or 3in. lead wires to splice onto,
i shut the bike off right away i don't think anything was hurt except a bear wire.

Ted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2009 21:01 #302132 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic oil and smoke coming from stator cover
What I think your seeing is a short in the alternator output wiring. Remove the alternator cover(with a new gasket on hand)and inspect the yellow wiring going through the grommet. www.z1enterprises.com sells a new alternator grommet for I believe $12.38.

The alternator wiring I believe is 16 gauge, it picks up additional wiring from the side stand switch,oil pressure switch, and neutral switch while routed above the engine sprocket. It is bundled with the other wires and sits in a channel while it goes toward the regulator/rectifier.

At the plug for the regulator/rectifier you will find 6 wires; three YELLOW wires from the alternator,1 small BROWN voltage sense wire,1 larger WHITE wire with a RED stripe that runs the bikes electrical system and 1 BLACK wire with a YELLOW stripe which is a ground wire.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Jun 2009 21:45 #302141 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic oil and smoke coming from stator cover
These alternators run wide open with no fuses in the output circuits for protection. So at least 50 volts A.C. at 4000 rpm is shorting out. www.electrosport.com has a troubleshooting page on their website if your alternator's output is low after the electrical short.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Jun 2009 22:11 #302146 by Tedster
Replied by Tedster on topic oil and smoke coming from stator cover
myfolks

where is all the oil coming from,do you think the crank seal is out
my clymer book is in the garage i will probaly have to pull the hub off the crank to see if its the crank seal leaking
is there another seal behind that cover that could leak besides the crankshaft seal

Ted

More
26 Jun 2009 02:02 #302164 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic oil and smoke coming from stator cover
In J-engines and most big-blocks Kawis stator is not dry. It´s "semi-dry" and there should be oil in also to lube starter system. Don´t worry about that and do what Mfolks says.

Hub off the crank? You probably mean "rotor". Alternator is a 2 part set-up: stator, which is bolted in to the cover and rotor which is bolted in to cranck. Do not try to take off the rotor. It´s very tight and you do not have any reason to do that. You´ll just probably break something.

To stop it leaking you´ll need a new gasket (OEM) and some Hylomar sealant. Read the manual it says where to add sealant. The critical point is the wiring grommet.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
26 Jun 2009 04:58 #302180 by Tedster
Replied by Tedster on topic oil and smoke coming from stator cover
Z1109R Fin wrote:

In J-engines and most big-blocks Kawis stator is not dry. It´s "semi-dry" and there should be oil in also to lube starter system. Don´t worry about that and do what Mfolks says.

Hub off the crank? You probably mean "rotor". Alternator is a 2 part set-up: stator, which is bolted in to the cover and rotor which is bolted in to cranck. Do not try to take off the rotor. It´s very tight and you do not have any reason to do that. You´ll just probably break something.

To stop it leaking you´ll need a new gasket (OEM) and some Hylomar sealant. Read the manual it says where to add sealant. The critical point is the wiring grommet.

Thanks
you explained that pretty good sounds like an easy fix if i had all the parts here,someone had that cover off before
they cracked the housing on the top left bolt right around the bolt when i took the bolt out the top part of the bolt hole came off with the bolt i will see about getting a cover well i have it off also

Thanks Ted