STARTER CLUTCH R+R ON KZ750(4)

• szczupd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • !!!NEVER BACK DOWN!!!
More
22 Jun 2009 08:48 #301324 by szczupd
STARTER CLUTCH R+R ON KZ750(4) was created by szczupd
hey guys maybe someone can help me? Yesterday I go to start my bike and all I get is a winding noise from the starter, I am assuming its the starter clutch but can anyone tell me WHERE THE HELL IT IS!!!!!!! oh and how to replace it that would be nice lmao

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle
1982 KZ750H LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
22 Jun 2009 11:42 - 22 Jun 2009 12:06 #301360 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic STARTER CLUTCH R+R ON KZ750(4)
"Winding" noise? Do you mean whining? When starter clutch goes bad it sounds like a bad bearing, or marbles inside the engine, when you push the starter button. It may fail gradually. Mine failed to catch about 35% of the time, but would catch eventually.

Starter clutch is located on Secondary Shaft between crankshaft and tranny. To replace it: Secondary Shaft, Clutch,exhaust, oil pump, and oil pan have to come out. You work through the oil pan opening. Sec. shaft comes out from left to right. It is labor intense. This is not meant to be a 'how to', you would need factory manual, certain tools and some research before trying this. Look for other posibilities first, like starter solenoid, or starter motor, or starter motor gear.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 12:06 by hugo.

More
22 Jun 2009 13:04 - 22 Jun 2009 13:06 #301379 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic STARTER CLUTCH R+R ON KZ750(4)
Here is a couple of pictures from my overhaul that might help you understand the work that has to be done. The first picture is looking up through the bottom of the engine with the oil pan removed. The secondary shaft has the large primary chain running around it. The starter clutch is located next to the primary chain. It can be removed with the engine installed in the bike, the clutch cover and clutch as well as the oil pan have to be removed. I would highly reccomend the factoy manual for this.

The second picture shows the arrangement looking down through the lover half with the cases split apart.

img7.imageshack.us/img7/2117/engine012.jpg

img119.imageshack.us/img119/4905/engine036.jpg

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 13:06 by Tyler.

• szczupd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • !!!NEVER BACK DOWN!!!
More
25 Jun 2009 16:58 #302051 by szczupd
Replied by szczupd on topic STARTER CLUTCH R+R ON KZ750(4)
okay so i dropped the oil pan and from what i see the big idiling gear directly against the starter clutch is just loosely hangin thier when i press it against the clutch it stays in place but i can pull it back away from the clutch again. I dont know or is it just me but I dont think this should be happening like this is( I do have the manual) but am I missing a clip here or is this just a close tolerance thing goning on
thanks for your help guys

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle
1982 KZ750H LTD