Cam chain question

More
20 Jun 2009 17:27 #300950 by jbrewer73
Cam chain question was created by jbrewer73
Guys, please help cuz im going nuts here.
After a recent tear down to do rings and valve job.
The bike had a flat spot in the middle of the throttle and ran rough cruising 1000 to 3000 rpm lik ethe pilot was too small. Bike did none of this before tear down. Thought it mught be points. Installed dyna s and the same thing. This leads to my question. when I installed the dyna s i had to drill almost a 1/4 inch more on the slot just to get the timting to line up. Tried the points plate and noticed my F mark is 1/4 inch off to counterclockwise so I would have to drill that ting out to get the F mark to line up at 1 and 4. Should not be like this. Im thinkiong could be a tooth off on the cam chain. Would it still start up real nice and pretty good power being only one tooth off? Or can someone tel me what I should do about this as I don't know how to time it know so I can at least rule that out.
KZ1000 with kerker and pods 28mm carbs 17.5 pilots 120 mains.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2009 17:57 #300954 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cam chain question
I don't know how the cam chain or cam timing could affect ignition timing, since that is done with reference to marks on something attached to the crankshaft so it should not be able to move.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Jun 2009 18:03 #300957 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Cam chain question
JB, Read OMR's tutorial on Dyna's under Electrical. Dyna's often exibit your' prob. (experianced it myself).I believe the installation sheet offers info for relocating pickup for proper timing..... Ignition timing is all relative to crank and ign. be it points or pick-up. and is clueless to cam timing. tho If you have ANY doubts, double checking never hurt. My guess at your' new stumble is carb related. If there was/is any loose sediment living in the bottom of your' float bowls, disturbing carbs often causes it to loosen and become suspended. in sufficient quantities, this would mess up pilot ckt, and/or be picked up at main jet (one of the fuel access's for emulsion tubes/needles) which would cause mid range stumble. log winded turd ain't I, hop[e this helps. G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
20 Jun 2009 18:54 #300966 by jbrewer73
Replied by jbrewer73 on topic Cam chain question
checking the carbs now will let you know the results.

What about my "F" mark at 1/4 being out of wack. How do I get that back to norm as I have no rotation left on my points plate to line up the F mark. That plate worked fine prior to me installing cams.
Im gonna go thru the carbs now.

More
21 Jun 2009 14:51 #301119 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cam chain question
jbrewer73 wrote:

checking the carbs now will let you know the results.

What about my "F" mark at 1/4 being out of wack. How do I get that back to norm as I have no rotation left on my points plate to line up the F mark. That plate worked fine prior to me installing cams.
Im gonna go thru the carbs now.

If the plate won't move any farther, the only other option is to move the pickups relative to the plate itself.

1979 KZ-750 Twin