Just broke a ring!!!!!

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Mar 2006 16:58 #29968 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Just broke a ring!!!!! was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
Took a couple of hours off work this afternoon to get the engine back together. Just come in cause the weekend has just ended at Friday 6:30pm Central. BROKE A RING. BK pistons & rings 70.25mm from Australia. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2006 17:53 #29976 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Just broke a ring!!!!!
there seems to be a lot of ring prblems with that particular motor.:(

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Mar 2006 16:09 #30162 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Just broke a ring!!!!!
Wire, Wish I could blame it on the motor but I'm affraid stupidity and trying to get things done too quickly are the problems.

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2006 16:33 #30165 by wireman
did you get anymore extras from that guy who sent you the last one?

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2006 08:49 #30635 by BARNEYHYPHEN
He certainly has some and I should hear this morning how many he has and how much he wants for them. I told him two oil rings and 2 center rings would be perfect if he'ws got them. That should allow me to destroy a couple more!

More
13 Mar 2006 09:12 #30641 by gas
Replied by gas on topic Just broke a ring!!!!!
Don't be so hard on yourself buddy. I've never done what you are doing. Atleast you have the stones to roll up your sleeves and dive in. I try to be very carefull but still make mistakes also. I don't mind if the mistake is not too expensive and I learned something in the process. Most of us don't have a factory mechanic standing beside us, pouring coffee and massaging our necks during our bike work. It's all good.:)

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2006 09:37 #30648 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Thanks Gas. Appreciate the kind words. Still pains me when I do these things. My problem is impatience, trying to get the job done too quickly.

More
13 Mar 2006 10:53 #30665 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Just broke a ring!!!!!
BH - Nobody is born with patience and patience isn't a normal human characteristic. Patience is learned during trying times as is character. We admire these traits in others but no one wants to go through the fire themself. Keep plugging away, you have come miles since joining the board. God bless.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2006 10:59 #30671 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Thanks WG. I'll let you know when it's all buttoned up.

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2006 12:06 #30699 by wireman
take it from the guy who got really impatient,drunk,mad and spent 2-3 hours trying to figure out why a motor wouldnt come out the wrong side of a frame it happens!:woohoo: i saw an ace shade tree ford mechanic put a 390 ford together and stuff it in the car,sounded good till the rod bolt/nut he forgot to torque came loose:S make sure to double check everything!;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2006 12:28 #30703 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Actually got real "lucky" when the ring broke, wouldn't you know it, the 1" bit of ring fell right down into the crankcase! Couldn't see it of course. Tried to magnet it out, that didn't work. So I took the pan off. Real treasuretrove that turned out to be...all sorts of "stuff" down there! Some other misc' ring bits, piston fragments and, best of all, a "spare" on of those small two hole plates that goes on the top cam idler tower. Needed one of those. I nearly found myself enough stuff in there to build me another engine. Lots o' crap.

Seriously though, it did give me a good oportunity to clean the pan and replace a bit or two in the oil pump. I've left the pan off for now until I've got the top buttoned up. That should guarantee I won't do it again.

More
13 Mar 2006 23:41 #30916 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Just broke a ring!!!!!
Yeah, well s..t happens. Week ago on a nice sunday me and my bro started to build up the top of my engine. This wasn´t the first time either...

Everything went smoothly, all rings on #2 and 3 piston went in nicely, #4 went in smoothly and at the same time #1 seemed to go in nicely. I just tapped the block down with my hand and it stuck! It just didn´t move at all. I had to take a small piece of wood and a hammer to tap the #1 piston back down and out from the sleeve. Lower oil ring was bent between the piston and sleeve!!! OK, this time it didn´t do any actual damage to the bore, small marks could be seen but luckily they were so low that it didn´t matter. Just new oil rings and back tio work. So ya see it happens. It´s not always your fault.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...