engine rebuild

More
20 Oct 2005 09:53 #2994 by mysticwolf
engine rebuild was created by mysticwolf
Hi guys, I need some input on rebuilding my motor this winter. Right now its a 1015, I want to bore it to a 1075, so new pistons for sure, but what brand? should I bore out my head and have it sleeved,or buy a 1000 head and just have it bored? also the cams I want to change. Ive seen alot of you talking about norris cams, are they the best for road use? what size should I go with.What else should I do to complete the rebuild? I had the head milled last time I had it rebuilt, should I do it agian? I want to keep my stock carbs for now, will they work with this setup?And last, would it be ok to keep my stock air box or go to pods? I appreciate all the input! Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2005 11:08 #3006 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic engine rebuild
This is beyond my knowledge, but I have always heard that if you bore to big the engine can run to hot. Something to keep in mind or research.

More
20 Oct 2005 11:40 #3010 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic engine rebuild
Id get a 1000ccc deck and bore it, so to save money. APE has a good selection of cams from .395 to .410 for the street. Dont mill the head anymore or youll have no valve clearance left. Wiseco pistons seem to work for me. Ive taken them rings and all, and reinstalled them without a problem. Beat the everlivin out of them too, they seem to like that. Youll need valve springs, cams, bigger jetttys. I bored my motor to 1015 and tried 120 jets to know avail. Had to go much bigger. It depends on the carb. 76 carbs need big jets. Youll have to set lobe centers and will need to know how or someone who does. APE has springs that are good to .460. These are 60$ and have kept my engine together and then some. APE jay satated that the norris cams (.407) were pretty close to the ape .410s, and were "very good for a 1015cc motor" The norris are 30-70 at .020 and the .410s are 27-59 at .030. To me it looks that the latter set has more duration.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2005/10/20 14:45

More
20 Oct 2005 21:47 #3153 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic engine rebuild
Norris has not been in business for years. You can not find any new Norris cams. Our K410s are by far the most popular for motors running the shim on top buckets.

Wiseco 1075 pistons are a great product. You will have a fast motor that will live like a stocker.

Go to our site and click on engine kits, and check our #SSR1075. It is exactly what you need.

Jay
www.kzzone.com

More
17 Nov 2005 22:55 #8774 by wireguy
Replied by wireguy on topic engine rebuild
make sure your crankshaft is welded while motor is apart,if you are using 900 cases they need to clearanced for the sleeves .wiseco makes good stuff but their street piston kits are normally10.25:1-10.5:1 by the time you get the cylinder milled to make sure its flat the compression is up,and if your head was allready milled you can be up to 11.5:1pretty fast,you migh want to find a company like MTC or others who make a 9:1 piston or something in that area,ask them what cams they recomend to use with their pistons.Good luck,hope this helps