How Long To Perform A Ring Job?

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
10 Mar 2006 13:53 #29930 by Strizzzo
How Long To Perform A Ring Job? was created by Strizzzo
So....pulled the head off last winter, ported and polished etc but boneheadedly didn't test compression. Now faced with tearing 'er apart again and re-ringing. Any idea ball-park amount of time for this task?

I'm not a shop-ninja but am moderately comfortable monkeying around in the bike. Also, am I just repeating the same foolishness if I stop and the rings and don't break the whole bottom apart to check for wear? Clutch seems solid and haven't had any particular cause for alarm down there but........

Thanks for the advice/help. 70 degrees today in NY, sure would rather be riding than contemplating a engine project. Sigh.
-b

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2006 14:08 #29932 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic How Long To Perform A Ring Job?
If your just going to hone then re-ring it ussually takes me a good day to complete it. If you went to the trouble of porting and polishing the head you might as well buy a big bore kit and get the cylinders bored. Big improvement in power.
As for tearing down the bottom end. If there was no problem with the bottom end then I wouldn't worry about it. I have rebuilt the top end on my KZ650 3 times and never opened up the bottom. Have 151,000 miles on the bottom end. And that is with a 720cc big bore kit, cams and bigger carbs and lots of agressive riding. These things are pretty much bullet proof.

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
10 Mar 2006 14:28 #29937 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic How Long To Perform A Ring Job?
Thanks for the input. I'm with you on the overbore...but am sadly longer on time than cash at the moment so I guess hone and re-ring it'll have to be for now.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
10 Mar 2006 15:00 #29949 by steell
Replied by steell on topic How Long To Perform A Ring Job?
And after you see how much the rings cost, then you say "WOW! maybe I should spend a little more and get the big bore kit", and then while you are trying to save up the money to get a big bore kit, winter turns into spring, spring turns into summer, summer turns into fall, and then it's winter again and you still heven't ridden the &*%$&* bike!:angry:

Good thing I have more than one bike :D

KD9JUR

More
10 Mar 2006 15:35 #29954 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic How Long To Perform A Ring Job?
Now faced with tearing 'er apart again and re-ringing.

For A good running street bike.

If it's all together now ,run a compression test ,
Cold ,
Then hot ,
If need be,put a little squirt of oil in each cyl.
The Same Amount
of oil In All of them if you go that far.
You are looking for readings of 10% differential or less.
"NOT" 10 PSI but 10%
If you have that , ride it and enjoy.
B)

1974 Z1a, still 903