78 KZ650 C2 flat spot and stumbling

More
12 Jun 2009 17:35 #298680 by cw28147
78 KZ650 C2 flat spot and stumbling was created by cw28147
Ok, the bike is running and I have been riding it, but I have noticed one thing that irritates the crap out of me. I was hoping that anyone on here could provide some insight.

The bike will run just fine at idle, and will pick up and go ok, but there is a notable "flat spot" where the bike just does not want to perform. This is around 50-60 miles per hour, or slower depending on which gear I am in. This is all guess work, since there is no tach or speedo on the bike. Yes, the carbs were cleaned and new gaskets, float and needle installed. The main jet is a 110 and the pilot jet, I really have no idea.

The flat spot seems to run at certain throttle percentage, get it past there, and the bike functions perfectly, but get it in the range, and it spits, stumble and misses.

Now, I know the next set of questions... What about the rest of the setup goes something like this. Pod filters, four into two aftermarket exhaust (Fully open/no baffles), and I am located in the Piedmont (southern central) area of North Carolina (approx 800 ft elevation).

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to remedy this?

Just a car mechanic trying to figure out his way around old bikes... After all, it is just nuts and bolts right???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spudbudy
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
13 Jun 2009 10:32 #298835 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic 78 KZ650 C2 flat spot and stumbling
had a similar issue with my bike change the needle clip position should help. what size carbs do you have? pods are hard to jet for I would try and airbox myself if you have one available. was a day and night difference for me. good luck. you want to lower the needle clip position stock position is #3 try #4 see if that helps. good luck

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

More
13 Jun 2009 10:33 #298837 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 78 KZ650 C2 flat spot and stumbling
I'd check your points (if your bike still has them) for pitting/gap/cleanlyness.

My C2 also had somewhat of a flat spot similar to yours, although not with the "spits, stumble and misses".
I contributed it to the points set up as I had not done any mainteneance on them in a few years, and having switched to an electronic ignition, the flat spot was gone and the engine had power all the way up the rev range.

"spits, stumble and misses" does sound fuel related though. Or just not the right fuel/air mix.
Look for leaks in the carb manifolds. Maybe you got air seeping in somewhere.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
14 Jun 2009 04:21 - 14 Jun 2009 04:29 #298992 by cw28147
Replied by cw28147 on topic 78 KZ650 C2 flat spot and stumbling
OK, stock air box is out of the question at the moment since the original was lost in the fire. P.O. tried rebuilding the carbs and rewiring a few things, and managed to burn most of the bikes plastic parts off. As for the carbs, they are the stock carbs, just rejetted. Will have to try the needle clip adjustment. The points are brand new, installed them before putting it on the road. checked the spark with a spark tester and I have great spark through all ranges. So it looks like this is a fuel/air problem.

Gentlemen, I do appreciate your assistance in this.

Just a car mechanic trying to figure out his way around old bikes... After all, it is just nuts and bolts right???
Last edit: 14 Jun 2009 04:29 by cw28147. Reason: needed to add