Now I know why it was parked for 14 years!!!

• FFR1545
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Certified Shopaholic (Live in the shop)
More
12 Jun 2009 16:41 - 12 Jun 2009 16:51 #298654 by FFR1545
I was getting pretty excited to start the bike today, the parts arrived and I had cleaned the carburetors. I poured the oil into the crankcase and got about 3 quarts in before I noticed it running out the bottom onto the floor. Turns out the oil pan had some major cracks in it. I pulled the pan off and did not find any metal in the pan and it did not look like the case was cracked any where else. It must have taken a pretty good blow to crack it as bad as it did. Is it common for the cases to crack from blows to the exhaust?

I have looked at oil pans on E-Bay and the 900,1000 and 1100's all look pretty much the same. Is that the case?
Anything else I should be aware of regarding the pan. I might get lucky if they parked it just because of the pan. It looked in really good shape from the bottom side.
Thanks for your help,
Aron

1982 KZ1100, Sat for 14 years wasting away! Going to rebuild as a super clean Bobber. I figured I need a motorcycle, since I could not fit another car into the garage.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2009 16:51 by FFR1545.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2009 16:48 #298655 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Now I know why it was parked for 14 years!!!
The engine could have gotten water in it and froze. (hope not)

Is there evidence of a hard blow?

There should be someone on the site here that has a pan for sale. If not i have only one extra i could send. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• FFR1545
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2009 16:53 #298657 by FFR1545
Replied by FFR1545 on topic Now I know why it was parked for 14 years!!!
I really dont see any evidence of an impact, I cant imagine it froze, but it is possible. There are a lot of options for buying a pan, I just want to make sure I get the right one. Aron

1982 KZ1100, Sat for 14 years wasting away! Going to rebuild as a super clean Bobber. I figured I need a motorcycle, since I could not fit another car into the garage.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
12 Jun 2009 17:01 #298662 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Now I know why it was parked for 14 years!!!
If the motor is not frozen I would probably use some epoxy putty on the outside to see if by chance she will hold oil then try starting it up. That would not cost a bunch, reuse the old gasket just to test it out, so what if it leaks a little around the edges. Maybe the previous owner did a switcharoo and the motor is toast. I would not want to put much more money in it untill you get it resolved. If you get the thing running then you could get the rest of the parts you need to clean up the bottom. This is just my opinion on how I would approach it without spending a fortune for nill.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• FFR1545
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2009 17:09 #298669 by FFR1545
Thats a good idea, I will clean it up and epoxy it tomorrow and see I I can get it to run first before I spend anymore money. Thanks, Aron

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
12 Jun 2009 17:19 #298673 by Kawickrice
Use the epoxy putty that you knead together, it is like playdough and a lot easier than a liquid type epoxy. Make sure it doesnt touch any anything but the pan as far as oozing into the motor if the crack is large.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
13 Jun 2009 08:07 - 13 Jun 2009 08:08 #298789 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Now I know why it was parked for 14 years!!!
For troubleshooting only, permatex copper gasket sealer, 3 Bond liquid gasket (cases) sealer etc...

But for permanent repairs... Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a new pan... they're not that much and this is just way too important....

Hell, me personally, I'd do this for why go through all the headache of fixing your pan, installing new gaskets, maybe have a leak and get a new pan and start all over.... What a pain in the ass for what... Doesn't make sense, to me anyways...

Be patient and do it the right way then you won't be second guessing (constantly worried about it) it especially while riding her...

Don't know exactly which engine you have so.... Others here may already have but on e-bay $20-$100 for a complete setup... ;)

motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksi...1000+Oil+Pan&_sacat=

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 13 Jun 2009 08:08 by Old Man Rock.

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
13 Jun 2009 08:21 #298792 by Kawickrice
Old Man Rock wrote:

For troubleshooting only, permatex copper gasket sealer, 3 Bond liquid gasket (cases) sealer etc...

But for permanent repairs... Do yourself a HUGE favor and get a new pan... they're not that much and this is just way too important....

Hell, me personally, I'd do this for why go through all the headache of fixing your pan, installing new gaskets, maybe have a leak and get a new pan and start all over.... What a pain in the ass for what... Doesn't make sense, to me anyways...

Be patient and do it the right way then you won't be second guessing (constantly worried about it) it especially while riding her...

Don't know exactly which engine you have so.... Others here may already have but on e-bay $20-$100 for a complete setup... ;)

motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksi...1000+Oil+Pan&_sacat=

Rock with all due respect, he doesn't know if the motor will run, it has sat for 14 years and apparently a cracked oil pan does not happen from sitting. The epoxy putty can be used just to seal the area where oil is dumping out. Until the motor runs I would be scared to put money in it. Something is not right for the pan to be cracked. If he were to do a tear down and rebuild then I would buy a new pan and make everything right. As it is now he is not sure the motor is worth fixing

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
13 Jun 2009 08:41 #298796 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Now I know why it was parked for 14 years!!!
No sweat brother for as mentioned... for troubleshooting yup seal and test but same time, I'd think if he bought this bike for restorations (as we all do) you have to put some money into them for they are 20-30 year old rides. With the need for oil pressure and proper lubrication's, why take the chance, just not worth it when it can be accomplished for little money...

Now throw into the mix a gasket alone is $10-20, good sealer $5-$10 and if he has to do it twice, why not buy one gasket, a used pan $20) and be done with it... What's the lost, $40 if even that.... Not to mention he can always re-sell it ob e-bay :laugh:

I know, I know but if $40 is a lot of money to someone or just not worth it, then seriously, working/restoring a 30 year old bike may not be for any of us right now...

No disrespect taken or dished out.... ;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
13 Jun 2009 08:53 #298803 by Kawickrice
My thoughts were about internal engine damage from the hard blow. If that is the case the gasket and sealer are chump change. Process of elimination. I agree most people buying something that sat 14 years can expect to replace all rubbers, cables, chain, sprockets, brakes etc. Thats what I did after a 13 year sit. The difference with mine was I parked it and knew the bike, he is going in blind.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
13 Jun 2009 11:31 #298855 by Sandy
Tough call,hey guys...:dry:

Aron...any chance of posting some pics of the oil-pan,so we can get an idea of how bad the "Crack" is...

Diagnose(the engine) for sure,in this situation,before spending any soda-pop money on it...don't dive in too deep just yet,until you know for sure what you want out of the bike...or what you THINK you want out of it...

In a case like yours,it could be a long haul,depending on your(pardon the term)...desires?? :unsure:

Obviously,anything is rebuildable,restorable...how much do you wanna spend?
Balance out your wants and your needs...got kids?...a house?...a family pet?...got holes in your favorite pair of jeans?
I'm thinking of a word here...what the hell is it?...starts with a "P"...oh ya..."Priorities"...
Do what I do,and piss on priority...act your age,for cryin out loud!
And as far as your electrical problem goes...ask Lou...he's the wire-puller.

Wait a second...what was your question,again? :blink:

All joking aside,Bud...if you can,get some pics of that oil-pan posted here...start with that...

There's a lot of knowledgeable people here,with great ideas...tried,tested and true...
B)

(pics?)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• FFR1545
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2009 15:16 - 13 Jun 2009 15:17 #298885 by FFR1545
I pulled the pan and epoxy-ed both sides, put some gasket sealer on slapped her on and filled it with oil. Fixed the broken plug wire, got some gas in her and cranked for a while and nothing. Put pressure on the gas until it ran out of the carbs, waited till it was done draining and tried again. AND THE OLD POS RUNNNNNS!!!!!
Man you should have seen 14 years worth of rust and dirt and shit blow out of them pipes. It ran pretty crappy but ran none the less.I let it sit for a while and checked the plugs and put some more gas in it and tried again. This time it ran much smoother and revved up much better.

Time for a new pan etc.... Let the spending begin.
Kinda a blessing the pan was broken so bad, it probably means the bike was parked just for that reason. It must have taken a pretty good hit to break it in two places. I checked the case real carefully and I don't see any other cracks.

Well it is going to get turned into a Bobber, I have decided. It just doesn't seem worth it to spend the money to bring it back to original. You guys will appreciate it, I don't do any thing half assed. It will be really cool when I am done.

Thank you all for your help!
Aron

Last edit: 13 Jun 2009 15:17 by FFR1545.