Suggested plug gap with Dyna S

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2009 12:34 #298392 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Suggested plug gap with Dyna S was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
1976 kz 900. I've been using 36 thou for the past couple of years and have had no apparent problems. However, just cooked my 1/4 coil and subsequently the 1/4 Dyna pick-up so, just wondering other's thoughts on plug gaps? 36 thou good? Too wide?

BH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2009 12:56 #298396 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Suggested plug gap with Dyna S
The gap is dependent on the voltage out of your coils. I run .050 (1.25mm) on my stock Kawasaki ignition with Dyna 2.2ohm coils. so far 10,000Mi. and no problem

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2009 07:38 #298580 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Suggested plug gap with Dyna S
Otakar, thanks for the input. I'm running a Dyna S with 3 ohm coils.

Not knowing as much as I should about the relationship between ohms, volts, amps etc, are you able to run a 50 thou gap because your running 2.2 ohm coils? Is a 2.2 ohm coil capable of putting out a higher voltage than a 3 ohm coil, assuming the same voltage input?

There's obviously a corrallation between the voltage output of the coils and the gap used but is there some rule of thumb? Say upto 30,000v, don't use a gap larger than 30 thou? Can 1000v jump 1 thou? Is there anything linear about this relationship between volts and gap?

Thanks.

BH

More
12 Jun 2009 12:38 #298627 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Suggested plug gap with Dyna S
Jeff from z1 mentioned in the recent past that the only time he's seen dyna's cook is when the motors get real hot down there. Might want to call dyna and discuss this with them. I talked with them once and found them very polite.

More
12 Jun 2009 13:40 - 12 Jun 2009 13:41 #298629 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Suggested plug gap with Dyna S
BARNEYHYPHEN wrote:

Otakar, thanks for the input. I'm running a Dyna S with 3 ohm coils.

There's obviously a corrallation between the voltage output of the coils and the gap used but is there some rule of thumb? Say upto 30,000v, don't use a gap larger than 30 thou? Can 1000v jump 1 thou? Is there anything linear about this relationship between volts and gap?

Thanks.

BH

There is a relationship but it's not simple. I depends on altitude, humidity and pressure as I recall. The spark also jumps easier depending on what ions are in the gas.

Back when I built HV power supplies, the rule of thumb was to use 0.1" air gap per thousand volts to PREVENT a spark jump at sea level. At higher altitudes, the sparks jump a lot more easily.

I think a typical plug with an .032" gap will probably fire in the 5 - 10 kV neighborhood, that's a guess.

FYI: I am not convinced widening the gap and forcing the coil's secondary winding to a higher voltage improves performance, but it does increase voltage stress on the coil winding. I think any decent spark is going to work. If you are standing in a room filled with gasoline vapor, it probably won't matter whether you strike a match or ignite a road flare.... same result.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 12 Jun 2009 13:41 by bountyhunter.

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
12 Jun 2009 15:10 - 12 Jun 2009 15:16 #298637 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Suggested plug gap with Dyna S
Spark plug gap has been an age old performance question. It has mainly been divided into two lines of thinking. Some go for a short fat spark and some go for a long narrow spark.

With an electronic ignition, the coils have a longer charging time, therefore more spark and can use either gap. Most people when using super high compression, go for the short fat spark. There is less chance of the spark being blown out with a shorter distance to travel.

I have used wide and narrow plug gaps in the Z motor. Now days I try to find some middle ground (.030"-.040"), I have found no real differance. I have went as high as .055" with the Dyna and Martex. I perfer .030"-.032" with a Mag.

Perhaps the results would be better noticed if you used the whole nine yards, side gaping, plug indexing, two plugs per cylinder, various plug gaps, diff heat ranges,
etc.

Every motor is different, you just have to play with it. I guess for me, it's just peice of mind.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2009 15:16 by kzz1p.

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2009 18:13 #298690 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Suggested plug gap with Dyna S
Thanks all the input. Think I'll probably go with 34 thou.

BH