Really loud backfire and nasty smell...

More
10 Jun 2009 13:31 #298053 by chrispysaki
Really loud backfire and nasty smell... was created by chrispysaki
My foray into motorcycle repair is not turning out exactly how I imagined when I bought this bike a couple weeks ago!

It's a 81 KZ750 four cylinder. It ran when I bought it, but had some minor problems, brakes, dead battery, old gas, etc.

So I changed the oil, cleaned the carbs, put in a new battery, fixed the brakes, changed the plugs, and tried starting it today.

It turned over, and sounded like it came close to starting, but then there would be an abnormally loud back fire, the sound of something metallic spinning inside a case and a pretty nasty smell. The force of the backfire even blew out some perforated metal that was placed in the end of the tail pipe. Now I'm worried I did something serious to the bike.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2009 13:37 - 10 Jun 2009 13:40 #298057 by EricHa
Replied by EricHa on topic Really loud backfire and nasty smell...
Upon seeing the title, my first thought was to cut down on the Taco Bell. Sounds more serious than that however. There are much more knowledgeable people here than me, but to start have you checked the timing?

1977 Kawasaki KZ900A5
1975 Honda CB550K
1996 Ducati 900SS CR
Last edit: 10 Jun 2009 13:40 by EricHa.

More
10 Jun 2009 13:54 #298059 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Really loud backfire and nasty smell...
If not already done, would double-check sparkplug wire connections to assure being routed to the correct plugs.

There are two ignition coils located underneath the fuel tank.

Each coil has two spark plug wires coming out of it.

One coil is supposed to have its two plug wires attached to the OUTSIDE sparkplugs (plugs #1 and #4).

The other coil is supposed to have its two plug wires attached to the INSIDE sparkplugs (plugs #2 and #3).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Jun 2009 15:19 #298073 by telefunkin
Replied by telefunkin on topic Really loud backfire and nasty smell...
Did you check for compression and spark? That's always the best place to start. If you don't have a compression tester just pull out one of the plugs and cover the hole with your thumb while cranking the engine over. Won't give you an accurate reading but if there is not enough force to push your thumb back off then your compression is probably too low and may need a valve adjustment.

More
10 Jun 2009 16:04 #298086 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Really loud backfire and nasty smell...
"The force of the backfire even blew out some perforated metal that was placed in the end of the tail pipe"

Sounds like ignition timing or improper spark plug wire routing to me too. Do you have a factory manual? If so, you may want to check the timing. BTW, can you provide a picture of the tailpipe? I don't know of any perforated metal that could blow out unless the muffler has been modified. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Jun 2009 17:55 #298141 by JR
chrispysaki wrote:

..........the sound of something metallic spinning inside a case and a pretty nasty smell.
Any ideas?

My starter often spins a little making a "metallic" sound for a second after the motor fires. I used to worry but it's been doing this for the 7 years :) since I bought it.

The nasty smell is weird though. Critters nesting in exhaust ?

I'm with the rest of the guys on checking the wiring to the coils.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
10 Jun 2009 18:20 #298155 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Really loud backfire and nasty smell...
Remove the CD sized cover on the right side of the crankshaft and see if the mechanical ignition advancer is stuck. It has two weights that change from advance to retard as the rpm changes.

All parts should move smoothly. Make sure a light film of oil in on the pivot points and springs where they are connected.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Jun 2009 06:38 #298303 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Really loud backfire and nasty smell...
Thanks for the ideas. The bike has the 2.2 ohm Dyna ignition coils, and they don't specify which coil lead goes to which plug. They are going to the 1&4 and the 2&3, however.

I'll check the timing advancer tonight.

It's a Kerker tailpipe, and it just looks like the guy I bought it from took some metal from something else and stuffed it in the end of the pipe.
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2009 07:00 #298307 by Patton
The bike has the 2.2 ohm Dyna ignition coils, and they don't specify which coil lead goes to which plug. They are going to the 1&4 and the 2&3, however

Perhaps the coil with leads now going to 1&4 should instead have its leads going to 2&3.

Signal wires from igniter should also be routed to the appropriate coil. So ignition timing for 1/4 governs whichever coil has leads to outside sparkplugs #1 and #4. And ignition timing for 2/3 governs the other coil having leads to inside sparkplugs #2 and #3.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Jun 2009 07:33 #298314 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Really loud backfire and nasty smell...
Ahh, I bet it's the signal wires. I didn't even think to check those.

So is it correct that it doesn't matter which coil lead goes to which plug, as long as it's either 1&4 or 2&3 and that they are attached to the proper signal lead?

More
11 Jun 2009 10:38 #298369 by Patton
chrispysaki wrote:

Ahh, I bet it's the signal wires. I didn't even think to check those.

So is it correct that it doesn't matter which coil lead goes to which plug, as long as it's either 1&4 or 2&3 and that they are attached to the proper signal lead?

Yes, that is correct. But just as easy to connect things the oem way as shown in the FSM and wiring diagrams, which would likely avoid some confusion in the future when next dealing with these ignition items.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Jun 2009 11:06 #298371 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Really loud backfire and nasty smell...
ya know every once in a while I backfire and others have said there was an incredible horrible smell....although I have never thought so. I have also noticed the dog walk out of the room when this has occurred (they do have good hearing). BUTT, I HAVE NOTICED THIS SAME PHENOMENON IN OTHERS AND DAMN SOMETHING HAD TO HAVE DIED IN THEIR EXHAUST.

Check the wires and connections.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"