A few more questions? HELP PLEASE?

More
08 Jun 2009 20:58 #297531 by odl666
A few more questions? HELP PLEASE? was created by odl666
Okay the bike is a 1978 kz 650b with new rings gpz cams and carbs bs34s, posished ported head with 25 thous off the deck. Dyan s and new rings and oversized pistons. I did a frame up restoration. Also four into one and individual filters and lockhart oil cooler with gpz oil pan.
Quetions:
Check cams I have them definetly in check I have noticed when i have got the bike to run with starting fluid there is a ton of air coming out of the breather cover under the carbs i also have a filter where the starter used to go. the bike is really hard to start i am just trying desperatly to get her going I have inspeted the cam timing over 3 times pulling them out and double checking everything. Cleanded carbs and the whole nine yards. I have alos redone the valve clearences three times getiing them as close to spec as possible they where a lil out of spec but on the loose side. All the help i received is very appreiative this is my first ground up build but not my first motor build. ANy help please and thank you in advance!

1978 kz 650b with gpz faq mods cams carbs polished and ported
1979 gs750e
1972 bsa lightning under construction

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2009 22:15 #297606 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic A few more questions? HELP PLEASE?
Sounds like the rings aren't seating to me.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
08 Jun 2009 22:30 #297607 by odl666
Replied by odl666 on topic A few more questions? HELP PLEASE?
Thank you for the reply. Do you have any suggestions to get these rings to seat? I used ultra slick permatex red assemble lube when installing these rings could this be why they are having problems seating? Do i need to take the bike all the way down again. I am just confused i usally chek my work two or three times in order to keep this sort of thing form happening. Also i did have very low compression reading like in the 30's thanks in advance.

1979 gs750e

More
09 Jun 2009 00:30 #297619 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic A few more questions? HELP PLEASE?
that could be your problem i only use a tacky assembly lube on the cams and followers i allways put my pistons in dry the only lube on the cylinders will be the wd-40 left over from when i washed the cylinders. that lube probably is so slippery that it wouldn't allow the rings to seat. pull the jugs and run a ballhone thru quickly to break any glaze then install the pistons dry.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
09 Jun 2009 00:51 - 09 Jun 2009 00:56 #297625 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic A few more questions? HELP PLEASE?
Sounds like broken rings to get that much blowby. Did you have any problems getting the cylinders on? Did u check all the cylinders for compression? If the rings are not broken, that permatex is some very slippery stuff that must bond to metal.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2009 00:56 by nads.com.

More
09 Jun 2009 05:36 #297641 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic A few more questions? HELP PLEASE?
have you run a compression check to see if any major issues, although it kind of sounds like the rings are not seating

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
09 Jun 2009 07:56 #297678 by odl666
Replied by odl666 on topic A few more questions? HELP PLEASE?
nads.com wrote:

Sounds like broken rings to get that much blowby. Did you have any problems getting the cylinders on? Did u check all the cylinders for compression? If the rings are not broken, that permatex is some very slippery stuff that must bond to metal.

no problems getting the jugs on but i did use lube to do so. permatex is very slippery stuck like a tacky sticky lube. the compression was low on cylinders i gnna go head hone those cylinders nd reassemble. thnks a million!

1979 gs750e

More
10 Jun 2009 20:18 #298195 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic A few more questions? HELP PLEASE?
odl666 wrote:

Okay the bike is a 1978 kz 650b with new rings gpz cams and carbs bs34s, posished ported head with 25 thous off the deck. Dyan s and new rings and oversized pistons. I did a frame up restoration. Also four into one and individual filters and lockhart oil cooler with gpz oil pan.
Quetions:
Check cams I have them definetly in check I have noticed when i have got the bike to run with starting fluid there is a ton of air coming out of the breather cover under the carbs i also have a filter where the starter used to go. the bike is really hard to start i am just trying desperatly to get her going I have inspeted the cam timing over 3 times pulling them out and double checking everything. Cleanded carbs and the whole nine yards. I have alos redone the valve clearences three times getiing them as close to spec as possible they where a lil out of spec but on the loose side. All the help i received is very appreiative this is my first ground up build but not my first motor build. ANy help please and thank you in advance!

You said you have over sized pistons. How did they fit? Was the block bored or honed? If so did u check the ring end gaps? If all that is okay maybe try washing down the cylinders with carb clean to wash out the permatex. The rings may seal afterwards. You could crank the motor and wash down the cylinders one by one, then squirt oil into them and recheck compression. Rings have a way of sealing instantly after a few cranks of the motor, at a momements notice. I've had motors that didn't seal and scratched my head wandering, then after a few more cranks BANG. Sealed. If the cylinders are smooth and glazed, it's a playground for the permatex to work it's lubricity properties, keep the rings from frictional contact with the walls. People are gonna bitch but you can save the hassle of the machine shop and cost by wrapping 220 sandpaper around your hand and running it through the bores while twisting your wrist back and forth. It will crosshatch the cylinders nicely and make for excellent ring seal. It's all I ever do and it works every time. Obama would smile on you and give you a metal out of a gumball machine because you saved gas not going to the machine shop.:dry: