Valve Advice

More
08 Jun 2009 12:57 #297338 by jbgibbs99
Valve Advice was created by jbgibbs99
Hi,

After some rough running and low compression on my Z100A1 (35k miles) I decided to take the head off and clean and check it out.

The valve faces are all like this one - concave.

It looks beyond repair to me, so I figure I'm into a new set of valves.

On Z1 they are selling stock and stainless steel valves for the same price. So the question is - are the shiny ones better?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

JB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2009 13:58 #297349 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve Advice
The only gripe about stainless is that, in general, stainless has lower strength and hardness than carbon steel. At least, that is the reality of stainless for gun barrels and frames. The main attraction of SS is it rusts less (it does rust, just not as easily). I am not sure I know why that would matter for valves. There may be a great advantage of SS valves, I just am not aware of what it is.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Jun 2009 21:03 #297540 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Valve Advice
J, In the day, stainless valves and phospher bronze guides were the a common step on big motor conversions, usually w/ oversized valve/seats. your' valves show exceptional wear,chances are your' guides and seats are similry worn. I'm a fan of Oe, but regardless, since its' appart, check valve to guide clearance es. as this will effect valve seat areas . paramount is consistant sealing area., then snug fit. valve guide seals can only do so much. as to stainless as opposed to stock, sorry, I,ve no background, except that I've @ 10 k miles on stock valves running pump gas without probs. luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
09 Jun 2009 00:54 #297626 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Valve Advice
i use stock type valves on my street rides and stainless on my dragbikes that use over sized valves but i would not have any problem using them on the street either. stainless valves are more forgiving if they do hit something that is one of the main reasons i use them racing that and i can get them in oversizes.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
09 Jun 2009 04:26 #297633 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Valve Advice
I'm in agreement with the other KZR members, if you have that much wear on your valves, then the valve guides need to be closely inspected. Then perhaps a 3-angle valve grind is in order along with new guides and valves.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
09 Jun 2009 05:24 #297638 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Valve Advice
looks like a lot of miles on that head, so in my mind like the others, a complete valve job including checking valve guides and seats may need to be repalced also, but the valves are needing to be replaced

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
09 Jun 2009 13:21 #297740 by jbgibbs99
Replied by jbgibbs99 on topic Valve Advice
Thanks all.

I'll buy the valves first, stock I think, and then see what the movement is like - but probably end up with new guides as well.

I'm starting to think that the head may not be the original. The paperwork backs up the 35k miles on the clock but the wear does seem excessive.

I'll take the barrels off this weekend and check the rings and sleeves while I'm at it.

Thanks again,

JB

More
11 Jun 2009 23:11 #298536 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Valve Advice
JB
Check your PMs before you buy any valves.

Jay

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
12 Jun 2009 18:53 #298703 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Valve Advice
bountyhunter wrote:

The only gripe about stainless is that, in general, stainless has lower strength and hardness than carbon steel. At least, that is the reality of stainless for gun barrels and frames. The main attraction of SS is it rusts less (it does rust, just not as easily). I am not sure I know why that would matter for valves. There may be a great advantage of SS valves, I just am not aware of what it is.

The first being weight. As the stainless heats up, it gets stronger, cold it is weaker then steel. I believe that the swirl marks ground into the head of the stainless valve, do aid in flow.

More
12 Jun 2009 21:23 #298742 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve Advice
kzz1p wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

The first being weight. As the stainless heats up, it gets stronger

Interesting, I never heard that before.

1979 KZ-750 Twin