advice & what to expect

• dardoonk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoy life....... ride alone
More
06 Jun 2009 15:00 #296782 by dardoonk
advice & what to expect was created by dardoonk
Mostly, I've been a lurker here, but I am getting toward crunch time, so expect to see a lot more questions from me... I know Suzuki's much better than the KZ, so I'm going to be depending on the expert advice I read here quite often now.

I am building an 82 gpz1100 which will be a street bike only, so I can't get too crazy. I am in process of a nut & bolt rebuild, so everything on the bike is being repaired, restored, replaced, & so forth. As of today, I have the bottom end back together & it is completely stock up to the pistons.

Here's what I got for the engine & need a little advice on a camshaft & what to expect as far as hp when I am done.

82 GPZ1100 with Wiseco 1166 BB kit (10.25:1 cr)
Head is clean and stock. Here is where most advice is needed. I have all the stock parts, plus a set of shim under buckets, retainers & springs, so I can go either way. How much will a stock head flow before there is no need to go to a larger cam? In other words, what's the biggest cam I should go with to keep the bike streetable? Does the stock head flow enough to run a 429 lift cam on the street??

I have a rack of just about any set of carbs I want, so with a cam and this setup, which would be my best in your opinion? True is though, my long term effort is to build a FI system using a micro squirt, so if you know I will have drivability problems running a big cam with FI on the street. Your advice is appriciated..

My Bikes:
05 Triumph America
77 Suzuki GS750
82 Kawasaki GPz1100 (White Euro clone)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2009 15:48 #296790 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic advice & what to expect
dardoonk wrote:

Mostly, I've been a lurker here, but I am getting toward crunch time, so expect to see a lot more questions from me... I know Suzuki's much better than the KZ, so I'm going to be depending on the expert advice I read here quite often now.

OK, then buy a Suzuki...

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
06 Jun 2009 16:03 #296793 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic advice & what to expect
Mcdroid wrote: "... I know Suzuki's much better than the KZ," "OK, then buy a Suzuki"\

Mcdroid - I also misread his staement at first. He wasn't saying Suzuki is better than the KZ, he was saying he knows Sukukis better - as in he is more familiar with them than he is with KZs.

dardoonk - welcome aboard; I can't answer your questions cause I'm a KZ650 guy, but there are pleny of knowlegeable folks here that will help you. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Jun 2009 17:52 - 06 Jun 2009 17:56 #296808 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic advice & what to expect
dardoonk wrote:

I am building an 82 gpz1100 which will be a street bike only, so I can't get too crazy. I am in process of a nut & bolt rebuild, so everything on the bike is being repaired, restored, replaced, & so forth. As of today, I have the bottom end back together & it is completely stock up to the pistons.

Here's what I got for the engine & need a little advice on a camshaft & what to expect as far as hp when I am done.

82 GPZ1100 with Wiseco 1166 BB kit (10.25:1 cr)
Head is clean and stock. Here is where most advice is needed. I have all the stock parts, plus a set of shim under buckets, retainers & springs, so I can go either way. How much will a stock head flow before there is no need to go to a larger cam? In other words, what's the biggest cam I should go with to keep the bike streetable? Does the stock head flow enough to run a 429 lift cam on the street??

I have a rack of just about any set of carbs I want, so with a cam and this setup, which would be my best in your opinion? True is though, my long term effort is to build a FI system using a micro squirt, so if you know I will have drivability problems running a big cam with FI on the street. Your advice is appriciated..

I am not expert on cam lifts, but my distant memory recalls the GPZ 1100 was the first all-stock bike to crack a quarter mile under 11 seconds in stock (as sold) condition. Somebody ripped a 10.88 with one which kind of set the world on it's ear way back in 1981 or 1982 if I have the year right. I seem to recall the stock HP was something like 120 accounting for it's muscle. If you bore one out and juice it up, obviously it is only going up from there.

Good luck, enjoy your cruise missile.....:laugh:

Interesting site with the specs on it.

www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_gpz_1100_1982.php

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Jun 2009 17:56 by bountyhunter.

More
06 Jun 2009 20:36 #296865 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic advice & what to expect
.429 is a pretty big cam for the street and the early gpz heads were almost the same as far as flow numbers as the j head i'd probably want to do some port work to help those big cam's along the head will have to be modified quite a bit just to have enough clearance to run with out hitting anything anyway so while you have the head apart to do that you may as well port it. it will have to be converted to shim under with those lift numbers anyway.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• dardoonk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoy life....... ride alone
More
07 Jun 2009 00:07 #296893 by dardoonk
Replied by dardoonk on topic advice & what to expect
Mcdroid wrote:

dardoonk wrote:

OK, then buy a Suzuki...

I have one, that's why I "know" or should I say "understand" them better than KZ's

timebomb, No problem to change the buckets, I've got both. From what I've read, I figured I'd have to clearance the head for these cams, but not sure how large a cam I can run without giving clearance. I can handle that myself, but have been leaning toward not doing any port work (since I can't do well enough myself), and hoping the head provided more than enough flow in stock form to allow a bit stronger street cam.

My Bikes:
05 Triumph America
77 Suzuki GS750
82 Kawasaki GPz1100 (White Euro clone)

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
07 Jun 2009 06:16 #296930 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic advice & what to expect
Mcdroid wrote:

dardoonk wrote:

OK, then buy a Suzuki...

HAHAHA :laugh: I thought the same thing when I read it. I did buy a Suzuki, and a Kawasaki and a Yamaha and well you get the point, I just love to ride. I will say this the Kaw is the weakspot in my heart,B) and the first one to receive attention when the needs arise

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
07 Jun 2009 07:36 #296951 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic advice & what to expect
if this is going to be a street only bike id suggest staying down a lot closer to the 400 mark you start giving away a lot of bottem end in my experiance with the big cams and big carbs B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.