Help! exhaust leak!

More
09 Mar 2006 11:53 #29626 by cary
Help! exhaust leak! was created by cary
Just pulled off my 4-1 MAC header and painted with VHT, bought some new copper crush gaskets and very carefully installed pipes, tightened them down, and fired up bike to cure the paint. Exhaust leak on cyl #3, loud :sick:. I loosened the collar, poked at the gasket to make sure it was in place and retightened, fired motor, still leaking. Repeated this several times. The kaw dealer only had one more of these gaskets in stock, and I gotta have it fixed this weekend cause my Dad's coming up w/ his harley. Anyone have a foolproof method of sealing up exhaust the first time (I only have one more gasket)?

(also, each cylinder has three metal washers in the exhaust ports which I imagine are in there so the aftermarket pipes will reach the head)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2006 12:05 #29630 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic Help! exhaust leak!
Last time my Vance & Hines was off for any length of time, I used 2 coppers on each port/opeig/whatever.
No problems at all. Drew the nuts up on the studs evenly and snugged them up.
Good luck.

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
09 Mar 2006 14:42 #29664 by nitro3custom
Replied by nitro3custom on topic Help! exhaust leak!
Can't see how it will matter much if you go with your dad and his Harley. You won't hear it much.:laugh:

Post edited by: nitro3custom, at: 2006/03/09 17:43

More
10 Mar 2006 08:42 #29847 by cary
Replied by cary on topic Help! exhaust leak!
I'm actually not too worried about the noise, just the possibility of bending a valve due to air getting sucked into the port.

UPDATE:

Last night I pulled the header again, and reinstalled VERY carefully, with a new gasket on the offending #3 cylinder. Still a small leak, but I think it's safe to ride on... will check with my local wrench. Probably gonna email MAC and ask them what to do as well.

More
10 Mar 2006 09:10 #29850 by cudaosix
Replied by cudaosix on topic Help! exhaust leak!
Redlinecycle.com sells copper gaskets that are thicker, seal well and can be reused instead of the OEM gaskets at the dealer.

link
www.redlinecycle.com/exhparts.html