#2 Cylinder still cold...

More
04 Jun 2009 06:05 - 04 Jun 2009 06:09 #296248 by Adidas120mi
#2 Cylinder still cold... was created by Adidas120mi
So here's an update:

I changed my plugs and what happened was the left side exhaust smoked... A LOT... but the exhaust pipe on the #2 cylinder is still rather cool, it warmed up a little at first it seemed, but after taking it on the road and testing it again after a couple miles is was cool letting water run off while the others were scolding hot.

I'm still waiting on a new petcock, should hopefully get that today or tomorrow in the mail.

I'm also still waiting on a new left side coil that controls the #2 and #3 cylinders (both are running cooler than #1 and #4 BUT #3 still gets hot, just not scolding hot).

I can't find any coil mods, anyone able to find one for the KZ 650 they could link me to?

I think the major smoking from first firing up is all the built up crap in the #2 cylinder burning out from the new plug but it's just not firing like it should. When I first ran it there was a lot of popping and back firing along with the smoking. The power seemed to be back a little bit more, not as much bogging down but still seemed like some. It was a lot better on the take off from 1st gear, it usually sputtered and almost stalled and it's not so sputtery anymore.

Also, the #1 carb stopped pissing fuel... didn't have a rubber mallet but I gave it a couple kicks and that seemed to loosen up whatever was wrong and it stopped pissing fuel in that every few seconds interval.

Pretty much looking for more guidance to get this thing running and running well. You've all been very helpful so far and I'm very greatful for that! :woohoo:

'79 KZ 650C w/ cone air filters
Last edit: 04 Jun 2009 06:09 by Adidas120mi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2009 07:37 #296258 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic #2 Cylinder still cold...
sounds like you are working on something that has been sitting for some time.

do a complete tune up on the bike,,, check the voltage to the coils, new plugs, and a complete cleaning of the carbs.
also run a compression check and adj the valves.

with all that done, you should have a good running bike

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
04 Jun 2009 07:52 #296261 by Adidas120mi
Replied by Adidas120mi on topic #2 Cylinder still cold...
I know it was sitting over the winter, but it was ridden last summer by its previous owner.

I'll try to do as much of that as possible but I don't quite have all the resources. =/

'79 KZ 650C w/ cone air filters

More
04 Jun 2009 21:26 #296415 by telefunkin
Replied by telefunkin on topic #2 Cylinder still cold...
Adidas120mi wrote:

So here's an update:

I'm also still waiting on a new left side coil that controls the #2 and #3 cylinders (both are running cooler than #1 and #4 BUT #3 still gets hot, just not scolding hot).

:woohoo:

This may not be a coil issue. From what I understand, if the coil is bad both sides will fail, not one. try a new plug and cable.

Try switching the 1-4 coil in place of the 2-3 one, they are interchangable, and see if you get the same results. If so it could be a wiring issue or a problem with the IC igniter.

Post the results here, I'm sure I have an extra working coil, and I think I may have an igniter kicking around that may work.