Starting after sitting for 14 years

• FFR1545
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Certified Shopaholic (Live in the shop)
More
04 Jun 2009 17:39 #296356 by FFR1545
Replied by FFR1545 on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
That VW kit car in the back has 11PSI running through an intercooler into a nasty small block with 435 HP to the tires. I know that you guys are purest, I just want something different. I will see how well it runs and then decide whats is next. I drained the oil and pulled the filter today. I am going to clean the carbs up this weekend and try and find a plug wire. One end of one wire is missing. I also pulled the cover off the points and they were pretty corroded. I will keep you posted. Wont get much done next week I am traveling for work.
Aron

1982 KZ1100, Sat for 14 years wasting away! Going to rebuild as a super clean Bobber. I figured I need a motorcycle, since I could not fit another car into the garage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2009 17:55 - 04 Jun 2009 17:58 #296358 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
spring for a dyna ignition...ditch the points.....parts for those bikes are around....just gotta look....i had one similar years ago....i wish i had kept it.......those bikes downright fly when running well and they are very smooth.....
Last edit: 04 Jun 2009 17:58 by keith1.

• FFR1545
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jun 2009 06:07 #296694 by FFR1545
Good news! Last night after figuring out how to get past having no key, I was able to free the motor up with out to much effort. I got power figured out after replacing all the fuses. At first I had no spark, and I found that the electronics coming off the crank were very rusty. I cleaned them up and was getting spark to the plugs. With the aid of some starting fluid I was able to get the motor to run briefly enough to convince me to spend some money, clean things up and replace some parts and see how she runs.

The only problem I still have is the start switch, I cant get the starter to spin with the button. I was shorting across the solenoid to get it to start. I tested the starter switch and there are three leads going into it, and I have power to all three, which cant be right.
I have a service manual coming from ebay, is there a place I can download the manual or at least the wiring diagram?

Thanks for all of the help and encouragement.
Aron

1982 KZ1100, Sat for 14 years wasting away! Going to rebuild as a super clean Bobber. I figured I need a motorcycle, since I could not fit another car into the garage.

More
06 Jun 2009 06:31 #296702 by littlemanonbigbike
Replied by littlemanonbigbike on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years

1982 1100 Spectre
Various other toys

More
06 Jun 2009 06:36 #296705 by littlemanonbigbike
Replied by littlemanonbigbike on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
I have a few parts for a KZ1100 let me know what you may need and i will see if i still have it. I also have the fairing and trunk for this bike>

1982 1100 Spectre
Various other toys

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
06 Jun 2009 06:42 #296708 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
does it need the clutch pulled in to starter button...some bikes need the kickstand in the up position...both the cluth and stand will have a pin and wires like a car door beeper pin/buttonFFR1545 wrote:

Good news! Last night after figuring out how to get past having no key, I was able to free the motor up with out to much effort. I got power figured out after replacing all the fuses. At first I had no spark, and I found that the electronics coming off the crank were very rusty. I cleaned them up and was getting spark to the plugs. With the aid of some starting fluid I was able to get the motor to run briefly enough to convince me to spend some money, clean things up and replace some parts and see how she runs.

The only problem I still have is the start switch, I cant get the starter to spin with the button. I was shorting across the solenoid to get it to start. I tested the starter switch and there are three leads going into it, and I have power to all three, which cant be right.
I have a service manual coming from ebay, is there a place I can download the manual or at least the wiring diagram?

Aron

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
06 Jun 2009 07:25 #296714 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
FFR1545 wrote:

The only problem I still have is the start switch, I cant get the starter to spin with the button.

is there a place I can download the manual or at least the wiring diagram?

Aron

On mine sometimes I have to turn the headlight off to get the button to work.

If you do a search you should find the manual and diagram you need. There was a few posts a while back that had manuals for most bikes.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
06 Jun 2009 20:46 #296867 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
by the way some guy's on here are purist's for sure but the vast majority have custom type bikes in one form or another for instance look at my signature i own quite a few bikes and only one of them is stock so do what ever blows your hair back it is your bike after all now if it was an origanal 1973 or a complete elr we might have a reason to have an opinion but since it is a bike that isn't collectable yet why the not do what you want giver hell .

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
09 Jun 2009 07:06 #297661 by solar_eclipse2
Replied by solar_eclipse2 on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
I just got one of these bikes over the weekend and one of the problems I'm having is that the start switch isn't doing anything. Just like on your bike, I can jump the starter solenoid and you can hear it crank. My bike has lots of stuff disconnected anyway and I'm going to replace the harness. Let me know if you come up with anything else.

• The Garbone
  • User
  • User is Currently waiting for his bailout check..
More
09 Jun 2009 07:22 - 09 Jun 2009 07:33 #297665 by The Garbone
Replied by The Garbone on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
When I got my project the starter would not turn via the button, I was missing the clutch switch (I bypassed that, who needs safety anyhow) and the wire harness connector blocks under the tank was dry rotted. Also, the button stuck on so I shot some CRC into it and now it works like new...

www.drillspot.com/products/289219/Crc_In...3160_Spray_Lubricant

2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n
Last edit: 09 Jun 2009 07:33 by The Garbone.

More
09 Jun 2009 07:24 #297666 by solar_eclipse2
Replied by solar_eclipse2 on topic Starting after sitting for 14 years
The Garbone wrote:

When I got my project the starter would not turn via the button, I was missing the clutch switch (I bypassed that, who needs safety anyhow) and the wire harness connector blocks under the tank was dry rotted. Also, the button stuck on so I shot some CRC into it and now it works like new...

Hmm, where is this clutch switch you speak of? If you can tell me I'm going to go home right after work and see if it's there or not.

I took off the control pod and the run button works and makes contact.

• FFR1545
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jun 2009 07:42 #297671 by FFR1545
I found that the 2 wires running to the clutch handle were disconnected, I pulled them off and spliced them together and the start switch now turns the motor over. I pulled the carbs off and throughly cleaned them yesterday. They only had some varnish not the dreaded white crap that is found in really old carbs that sit for a long time. My other parts show up Thursday and I plan on firing her up on Friday.
I am going to build a super clean bobber out of her, similar to KZBOBBERS'S here on the forum.
Thanks, Aron