Oil Cooler Installation

More
02 Jun 2009 10:42 #295751 by KZ101
Oil Cooler Installation was created by KZ101
Went for a ride last weekend and got stuck on traffic. Bike started to feel real hot.

I've heard that an oil cooler will help solve the problem of a hot bike( within reason) Are they hard to install? do i need to drill and tap the block at all?

1980 1000ST.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2009 11:13 - 02 Jun 2009 11:15 #295771 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil Cooler Installation
Imo oil motorcycle cooler on air cooled bikes helps little if at all when stuck in traffic, such as bumper to bumper stop and crawl during ultra hot weather at Daytona Bike Week. Because an oil cooler needs air flow to function. A few owners have adapted electric fan to create air flow under these conditions, but adoption by the air cooled bike community has been underwhelming.

Am thinking water cooled bikes fare better under these conditions, and seem to recall some having their radiators equipped with automatic fans same as automobiles.

For extended summertime touring at highway speeds, an oil cooler seems beneficial on an air-cooled bike engine.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Jun 2009 11:15 by Patton.

More
02 Jun 2009 23:27 #295941 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Oil Cooler Installation
If it runs warm as your riding around it'll help for sure. As for sitting in traffic, the cooler will cool the bike faster when you start moving. You will have to buy adapters that fit to the oil light switch under the airbox. About the only site that has them is americanclassix.com.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
03 Jun 2009 02:53 #295944 by davel
Replied by davel on topic Oil Cooler Installation
It's a debated topic. As previously mentioned, a cooler is most effective when you're moving. If you have stock displacement and compression it shouldn't be necessary. Look for signs of overheating - erratic idle, stalling or pinging under acceleration when the engine is hot. If you don't have these symptoms then it's probably not worth the trouble. Big bore kits with high compression pistons require more heat dissipation. Here's a thread with some useful info.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=2&id=286967#289040

More
03 Jun 2009 05:26 - 03 Jun 2009 06:54 #295952 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Oil Cooler Installation
Oil cooler adapter set....
These would be installed at the oil pressure switch pipe.

americanclassix.com/streetfighter_conversions.html

For Earls coolers...
www.holley.com/types/Temp-A-Cure%20Oil%20Coolers.asp

Living here in Arizona I as well have been researching into this concept due to the triple digit heat index...

As mentioned, without air cooling (flow), it's not going to do a hole hell of a lot for you... If your not experiencing the items Davel mentioned then the issue is elsewhere if this is your reasoning.

Plummen brought up a real good point when discussing the pro's & cons with him... Presently, still in motor break in period of my project... Meaning I'm using non synthetic motor oils. Was originally using 10w/40, after our discussion have now installed 20w/50...

It seemed to make a difference when ambient temperatures are under 100*F... Maybe you already are doing so...

Same time, in researching this further I came across another item that would cause the engine to run a little hotter... Ignition timing! I had advanced my timing a couple of degrees and since have set it back to dead nuts on @ 1000rpm...

Also, are you running your carb jetting on the lean side... A richer setting will run cooler!

Then the other statement is when I get to 1500 miles on this re-build, we will be switching to synthetic oils. At which point the motor will run cooler due to the synthetic lubrication... Again, maybe you already are doing so...

So unless witnessing symptoms, these old motors can take an ass whooping... So ride her and enjoy, she'll let you know when she's not happy....

Then the last good point brought up by that crusty old bastard is this....

Plummen:
"You actually go ride when it's 115*F... WTF is the matter with you?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hard to argue that one....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 06:54 by Old Man Rock.