oil change?

• Davestradamus
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2009 22:04 #295666 by Davestradamus
oil change? was created by Davestradamus
so this is going to seem really stupid.....

::zips flamesuit::

i am going to change my oil and filter tomorrow on my 77 kz650b.

the problem is:
my manual has not arrived and a search on the forum has not turned up what i want to know.

that being said, what oil is recommended? how much? and where is the filter? jeez, i sound really dumb...

at least the V&H doesnt cover up the drain plug.

thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 22:11 #295669 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic oil change?
Any name brand 10/40 will do,
How much is cast into the engine by the fill cap,
Start by filling it short, then top it up to full using the site glass with it on the center stand or standing straight up.

A good guess would be to buy 4qts. and a filter.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
01 Jun 2009 23:39 - 01 Jun 2009 23:51 #295679 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic oil change?
I would add some zinc (ZDDP) since most current oil makers do not include it in their oils anymore.

If you want my opinion for best oils, I would vote for Amsoil synthetic or Rotella synthetic (10-40 or 15-45).

Cant tell you where the filter is. On my 750, its behind the left side engine cover.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 23:51 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Jun 2009 00:13 - 02 Jun 2009 00:48 #295686 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic oil change?
Hi Davestradamus,

In the diagram below, find a large bolt head (item 31) near the back of your oil pan (item 20). It is holding up a 5 inch or so disk (item 30) above which is located the oil filter (item 26). See diagram here:

Diagram

From the above diagram, for the Oil Filter to work properly be sure you check that the PO's have not lost the items 27, 28 and 29 that hold the filter in place. Don't ask. :blush:

Just a note... this bolt head is often damaged by poor removal tecniques used by PO's. A replacement can be got for less that $10 USD from our friends at Z1 Ent. This what the removed bolt looks like new:

Ok bountyhunter , I'll bite. What's the Zinc about? :huh:

Oppsss, just saw your other thread on ZDDP. You are fast. :laugh:
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jun 2009 00:48 by bill_wilcox100.

More
02 Jun 2009 06:06 #295705 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic oil change?
Do you have the Owner's Manual for the bike?
Just in case... it's located in a plastic pull-down compartment on the underside of the seat pan.

The oil filter cover kinda has a starburst pattern on it.

Shell Rotella-T 15W-40. It has a higher amount of Zinc-phosphate (ZDDP or ZDP) than regular car oils. It's a heavy duty oil marketed for diesel engine use. Chevron Delo or other diesel engine oils would be good as well.

More
02 Jun 2009 06:15 #295708 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic oil change?
You were asking where the oil filler is, it is on the right, rear engine cover. Look next to the kick starter, you need to swing it out to add oil. Most of us use 10-40 or 20-50 (warmer climate) After draining oil (warmed up) and changing filter (two separate drains, the filter being about 6-7 inches back from the oil drain bolt), add 3 qts and start motor. Shut off and add remaining oil (on center stand) to between high/low marks on oil level site glass. That is located down low between the right side front and rear engine covers. The motor will take about 3.5 - 3.7 qts total. Pic below shows filler at upper right and sight glass (bike on side stand, yes... it has oil :P ) down between engine covers, Geez, I need to clean my bike!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2009 07:10 #295718 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic oil change?
+1 on most of what's been said so far...the guys pointed you in the right direction for where to locate everything on the bike, and how to find capacity, and 10w40 is the manufacturer recommended weight, and Rotella-T is the shit. BUT, don't use just any 10w40 weight oil. Most conventional car oils have energy saving additives that aren't good for our wet clutches. I'd avoid using any of these oils if I was you. Bike specific oils (or Rotella) are the way to go. I used to run BelRay semi-synthetic in all my bikes, until I read enough about Rotella to be comfortable trying it out. Been using it now for the last 2 seasons and the bikes all love it. And it's about $10 a gallon at Wal Mart instead of $7+ a quart for the BelRay...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
02 Jun 2009 20:55 #295918 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic oil change?
I have over 150,000 miles on my 78 KZ650 and I use whatever oil is on sale, 10/40, 30, 20/50. I change it once a month and never had issues, ever. I have used synthetics with bad results, leaking seals and gaskets. Remember these old bikes were designed to use car dino oil. There was no bike specific oil when these were made. Just remember to change the oil and filter regularly and yu will not have oil related issues.

More
03 Jun 2009 20:42 #296184 by bowtie39
Replied by bowtie39 on topic oil change?
Would like to know more about the leaking seals and gaskets. Did you have to replace these gaskets? Any additional info would be appreciated.

Roger

More
03 Jun 2009 21:15 #296200 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic oil change?
Chevron Delo 15w-40 diesel oil. Has all the zddp you will need. CI formula is better I believe, but the CJ formula is fine as well. Happy riding.

More
04 Jun 2009 07:22 #296254 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic oil change?
baldy110 wrote:

Remember these old bikes were designed to use car dino oil. There was no bike specific oil when these were made.

Auto oils didn't have the energy conserving additives in them back when these bikes were made either. Hence the need to use either bike specific oil or an alternative that doesn't have these additives that are detrimental to our wet clutch system.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
04 Jun 2009 18:58 #296375 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic oil change?
Not open up a can of worms here but let me get this straight.
Auto oil back in the 70's did not have the energy conserving additives in them, that is correct. However the recomendation is to use synthetic oils for these bikes. Sythetics have way more friction reducing properties than any current produced car oil. So how can that be any better for our wet clutches? In fact when I rebuild these old bike engines I have a supply of old car oil that I use to seat the new rings in the cylinders. The newer dino oil sold today is so slippary they do not allow the rings to seat properly. And you cannot use syntheics to seat in new rings on theese older engines due to the friction reducing properties in them. Use the oil the manufacturer recommends.