Gasket Sealer Question

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2006 06:54 #29565 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Gasket Sealer Question was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
About to put the block back on the cases. 76 Kz900 cases with 1015 block.

Picked up some spray on high tack sealer, made by Permatex, from NAPA but I dont think it was WG prefered NAPA brand. did a small test spray to see what I had and turns out the stuff is bright red! Is the NAPA brand also bright red?

Called in to O'Reilly's this morning to see what they had and saw some "aviation"? gasket sealer in a white plastic bottle with a cap brush. Kind of thick dark brown liquid/goo. This may be preferable to the bright red spray? Easier to control where it goes.

Manual also suggests a bead of silicon at the case level, around each of the four inside head studs. Any thoughts on whether this bead should be under or on top of the base gasket, or both?

What's the concensus on the spray, goo? What about the silicon?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2006 07:13 #29572 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Gasket Sealer Question
Barney, In the future, I am going to charge you a nickel per answer so I can retire from the carb business! bwhahahaha

The NAPA stuff is red. NAPA sells essentially the same stuff in liquid form that isn't as messy when putting a block on. It is in a small white can and can be brushed on. The stuff you are using will work fine only you will need to do some clean up after spraying it all over the place hehe. I use spray carb cleaner but I use carb cleaner for everything. Try not to spray your new pistons/rings with this stuff...

I don't know about the aviation sealer. I haven't used it. I use the NAPA stuff because the NAPA store is convenient and I am sure there are good equivelent products out there and I am sure NAPA sells somebody else's rebranded product. I don't like the brown goop sound though for the aviation sealer. I have used gasket shellac in the past and it is a horrible mess and hard to clean if you need to open up again. It is a brown goop and it IS SHELLAC. It sure won't leak but once that brown goop is in place, hours of clean up if another rebuild is needed will be on your plate.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.