Valves re-shimmed, now exhaust burble- thoughts?

More
31 May 2009 07:25 #295272 by Link14
Finally got the kz750's valves re-shimmed (6 out of 8 out of spec) and put back together. Over 5 stinkin' hours scrapping off the gasket, yuch! Bike runs like a champ though so I'm happy I did it. Next time I'll get this stuff done during the winter so I can enjoy the Spring riding weather.

Anyways, one change that I've noticed that once the engine gets warmed up, the exhaust sort of burbles and pops when it's at idle. It idles fine and it's not too bad, just not sure how adjusting the shims would cause this, or if something else I did is doing it. I did have to remove the tank, coils, and pollution control system to get the valve cover off.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2009 11:03 #295302 by PLUMMEN
depends on how long the valves were out of wack somebody might have played with carbs thinking that was the problem previously B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
31 May 2009 11:34 #295305 by WABBMW
I recommend double checking the hoses that lead to the pollution control equipment. Perhaps air is being sucked in through a cracked hose.

And how were the valve clearances before you changed shims? Were they all too tight so that you increased the clearances, or did you adjust any to have less clearance than before?

I have found that if you take several readings for each valve, with the cams at several places through their rotation, that you may get slightly different reasults. I usually use the tightest reading for reference, and then choose a shim thickness so that new clearances will be on the loose side, rather than too tight.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
31 May 2009 20:14 #295411 by otakar
If you made a clearance too tight, it will cause a funny sound because the valve will start to leek when it gets hot. You are better off to be a little on the loose side than on the close side.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
01 Jun 2009 05:51 #295447 by Link14
Thanks guys, 5 of the valves only had .02-.04 mm clearance, one had no clearance and I had to replace that tappet. Now they're all between .13-.18 mm. Since I had the carbs balanced and fuel/air mixture adjusted last Spring (stupidly before I checked clearances), Plummen could definitely be on to something. I did check the clearance several times, rotating the crank a couple of times between checks, but I always checked at TDC, like the FSM says. If it doesn't clear up, I'll open it back up again.

Thanks for the advice!

I'll check the hoses, I definitely had to muscle them around to get them in