crankshaft seal sealant???

More
30 May 2009 17:57 #295135 by pburnhamb
crankshaft seal sealant??? was created by pburnhamb
hey... im assembling my engine tonite. I ve got 2 new crankshaft seals (one has been on the shelf for 30yrs as they dont sell new ones anymore). i dipped them in oil in hopes of swelling them up a tiny bit and because the 30yr old one is....well...30 yrs old. anyway, after i did this i began wondering if i wahould have used some sort of sealant on them, my initial thought was that they wouldnt need it, but now im doubting myself.....any suggestions????

thank you tons for all the help.
she is getting close.
-patrick-

1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2009 18:27 #295141 by gane
Replied by gane on topic crankshaft seal sealant???
Pat, understand. old rubber is well old. if what you've got is what's avalible, clean and inspect.dry rot will show as cracking when static or deformed.if bits are plyable and intact, white lithium or assy lube are my rec. oe seals are usually dabbed w/silicon lube after manufacture. if these have worked, you should be ok.if defect is obvious, try King Bearing/seal, Napa.others for replacement by demension. In my fiddling, trying to re-juvenate old rubber via Brake fluid/snake oil, only postponed failure. (this from an olde english restorer) luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
30 May 2009 19:46 #295161 by pburnhamb
Replied by pburnhamb on topic crankshaft seal sealant???
thanks for the reply Gane. snake oil lol. the "30" yr old seal seems to be in decent condition, i'll coat them in the lucas assembly oil i have and bolt the two case halves together. hopefully she will last at least a season. ill try to hunt down another seal as well. i dont understand why they would discontinue one sides seal and not the other unless they intended to use one seal for both sides... although they do clearly say on the seal which way to rotate... thanks again
-patrick-

1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

More
01 Jun 2009 13:52 #295510 by gane
Replied by gane on topic crankshaft seal sealant???
Pat, Look to your' old seals, if they are of same demensions, look carefully at the inside sealing lip. if there are um lets see how to express, feathers/angled striations at inner sealing lip just outboard of contact area, they were designed to be directional. If so, I would replace old seal w/newer wrong side seal. sorry if my description is poor, But I recall from way back an instance where same size seals were used in (some application)where this was the case. luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1