APE extra disk HD clutch pack

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
30 May 2009 13:47 #295079 by riverroad
APE extra disk HD clutch pack was created by riverroad
My clutch has been slipping a little, so this morning I took the clutch apart and discovered the disks are running about .130"-.142" thick, so I need new friction disks.
So I looked up Z1 Enterprises and saw their APE extra disk clutch pack that comes with five springs and one metal plate.
Anybody know what the extra metal plate is for?
And are the springs that come with it heavier than my stock ones?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2009 14:56 #295095 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic APE extra disk HD clutch pack
Because it is an "extra plate clutch kit". It has one more friction plate than a stock KZ. In order for that to work, it has to have an extra steel. This provides about 14% more clutch contact area than the stock KZ.

This has been the default clutch kit for drag racers and hot street guys for over 30 years.

Jay

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
30 May 2009 15:31 #295103 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic APE extra disk HD clutch pack
Ah! OK.
So there's nine disks and one plate. Gotcha.
I was thinking maybe the material was different and the springs were heavier.
Thanks Jay.

So For a temp fix, I cleaned it all up, and deglazed my plates, put it all back together and it works great. Breaks the tire loose on the first to second shift real good and doesn't let go at seven grand anymore. It'll work for a little while if I just ride it.
But I can already see that when I add a 1075 kit, smoothies and a cam, I'm probably gonna need that extra disk and plate.
But now my old problem of the gas cap popping open when I bang it has reappeared. With the tank full, I get my crotch doused. Helluva performance measuring technique, but hey...:silly: