Fix one problem to Find another...

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2009 07:39 #294603 by Bullitt03737
Fix one problem to Find another... was created by Bullitt03737
Its the story of my life. I just fixed my carbs becuase one had a small crack in the body. Fix the starter/slow cranking situation. Now this morning I fire her up and WOW what a suprise another problem....

I have notiched when Cranking and it dosent start for what ever reason there is a sucking sound coming from the right side of the engine (#4 cylinder). Well This morning my son hid my car key from me, So I started up the bike and it was pouring blue smoke out of the right side exhuast pipe only. Now, I know almost for certian this is the valve stem seals leaking oil into the cylinder while it was sitting as it stopped shortly after it warmed up some.

How much of a PITA is it to change the seals on the valves?

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2009 07:56 #294607 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Fix one problem to Find another...
For starters...do you have a manual for that bike?
You'll have to pull the head off to get at the seals.
And while you're in there,there are other things you can do to clean things up,and for peace of mind.
How many miles on that motor?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2009 08:17 #294612 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Fix one problem to Find another...
Well, Im going to get a new job soon, and when I do I will have the cash flow agian to rebuild this motor over the winter into like a 1200ish cc.

I do have the manuel. It will turn 14K on the way home tonight. I know its not that many to be having these kinds of problems. But I always seem to have that kind of luck.

1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

More
28 May 2009 08:22 #294614 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Fix one problem to Find another...
It's not always about high miles when it comes to seals...they dry out.
Looks like you'll have to put up with that puff until you can pull it apart.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• Bullitt03737
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2009 09:25 #294629 by Bullitt03737
Replied by Bullitt03737 on topic Fix one problem to Find another...
It did sit for awhile before I took it from my dad and got it road worthy agian, and who knows how long it was before My dad got ahold of it.