new head gasket leaking..

More
27 May 2009 11:06 #294399 by kzmarvo
new head gasket leaking.. was created by kzmarvo
New head gasket is leaking right up front in the middle the top head gasket. A shop replaced it,actually where i work. It is going to get fixed no charge,so what i want to know is should i look out and tell the guy that is doing it and advice?

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2009 11:31 #294401 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic new head gasket leaking..
if it is a two piece gasket then you may have a problem with the center o-ring seal. if it has a one piece then you may also have a problem with the center if he used a one piece then the center o-ring groove must be filled evenly with some type of oil resistant silicon and the o-ring cannot be used also make sure he tourques the head properly in the right sequnce and right amount in stages. if the head gasket is a two piece like the stock one then the center o-ring may have come out upon installation of the head. i allways use weatherstrip adhesive to hold it in place. one other thing to check if the gaskets were installed properly is to check for square and true cylinder head and block surfaces. if they aren't they can be machined square and true again.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
27 May 2009 14:53 - 27 May 2009 21:39 #294422 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic new head gasket leaking..
kzmarvo wrote:

New head gasket is leaking right up front in the middle the top head gasket. A shop replaced it,actually where i work. It is going to get fixed no charge,so what i want to know is should i look out and tell the guy that is doing it and advice?

If it is a 750 twin, tell him the next gasket will probably leak as well. They have small bolts in the center (front and rear) threaded up into the head to reduce the leakage, but all three of my head gaskets (original factory and two head jobs) have seeped oil there. The head and block are flat, they just leak.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 May 2009 21:39 by bountyhunter.

More
27 May 2009 17:16 - 27 May 2009 17:22 #294446 by bigkaw815
Replied by bigkaw815 on topic new head gasket leaking..
I wonder if they forgot one or both of the bolts that go inside the head? I nearly did, it's easy to do. Would be a real pain after torquing all the bolts in sequence, rechecking with torque wrench, then finding the two bolts in horror, realizing your terrible mistake:blink:
Last edit: 27 May 2009 17:22 by bigkaw815.

More
27 May 2009 17:28 #294455 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic new head gasket leaking..
have you tried retorquing?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 May 2009 21:37 #294542 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic new head gasket leaking..
bigkaw815 wrote:

I wonder if they forgot one or both of the bolts that go inside the head? I nearly did, it's easy to do. Would be a real pain after torquing all the bolts in sequence, rechecking with torque wrench, then finding the two bolts in horror, realizing your terrible mistake:blink:

On mine, you have to torque the three small 10mm bolts going up into the head after you torque the big head bolts. If you do it the other way round, the head pulls down and releases the pull on the small bolts at the edges.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 May 2009 21:56 #294546 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic new head gasket leaking..
its a kz1000 motor,and i have no clue,i will talk to the guy tomorrow that did it. He is a harley mechanic so that might be the issue....

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)