Valve lifters (buckets) got mixed up...problem?

More
26 May 2009 18:59 #294247 by nob_1100
I accidentally mixed up the valve lifters for my 83 1100 head (buckets above valve stems) when I was cleaning them. :( I was able to easily separate them into two groups by the coloration pattern on their skirts, but beyond that I have no clues as to which bucket came from which valve well. My first question: am I correct in assuming that the ones with a darker coloration on the skirts are from the exhaust side? My second question is: DO the original locations of the buckets matter? Right now, I put each bucket to the well which I thought it fits most snugly. I can rotate each bucket easily with my finger, so I don't think there's any binding. Should I worry? Thanks.

83 1100 Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2009 19:20 #294251 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic Valve lifters (buckets) got mixed up...problem?
well..i did the same thing awile back with my 80 ltd750...was told about quicker wear..but more important is checking the shims..assuming shim over bucket...they might all be off now...

1982 kz1000ltd

More
26 May 2009 19:27 #294255 by gane
Nob, Relax. for application, all buckets were essentialy same size. while it's optimum to re-assemble bits which have been run together (mated) it's not imperitive. discoulord buckets would logicly be exhausts as thats where greatest heat resides. discrnible wear patterns are rare in buckets/bores of stock motors as they have huge contact areas and little side load unless fragged. my 2 cents G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
26 May 2009 19:56 #294261 by nob_1100
brianrae33 wrote:

well..i did the same thing awile back with my 80 ltd750...was told about quicker wear..but more important is checking the shims..assuming shim over bucket...they might all be off now...

So your motor didn't disintegrate afterward, correct?

I got lucky with the shims, though. The valve work (cleaning & lapping) and the mixed up buckets somehow worked in my favor. Of the 8 shims, 5 were spot on, 2 could be directly swapped with each other...leaving only one new shim to buy.

83 1100 Ltd

More
26 May 2009 19:58 #294263 by brianrae33
lol...no..didn't scrap..just thought he should check the shims...

1982 kz1000ltd

More
26 May 2009 20:03 #294266 by nob_1100
gane wrote:

Nob, Relax. for application, all buckets were essentialy same size. while it's optimum to re-assemble bits which have been run together (mated) it's not imperitive. discoulord buckets would logicly be exhausts as thats where greatest heat resides. discrnible wear patterns are rare in buckets/bores of stock motors as they have huge contact areas and little side load unless fragged. my 2 cents G

Thanks gane, I can now sleep!

I must confess that the cam bearings also got mixed up :woohoo: (I know this is a Big No No) but on this one I'm 99% sure that I have managed to put them back to the original locations by examining the etched patterns on the mating surfaces.

83 1100 Ltd

More
26 May 2009 20:06 #294267 by brianrae33
cam bearings should be numbered for easy install..check the numbers on them..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
26 May 2009 20:42 #294279 by PLUMMEN
did you slop some white grease/oil or assembly lube over things when you put it back together? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
26 May 2009 21:12 #294287 by nob_1100
PLUMMEN wrote:

did you slop some white grease/oil or assembly lube over things when you put it back together? B)

Thanks for the reminder. My 7 year old girl applied oil to every single piece with a brush as *we* assembled the head. Her tiny fingers came handy when putting the split keepers on the valves.

83 1100 Ltd

More
26 May 2009 21:59 - 26 May 2009 22:00 #294297 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Valve lifters (buckets) got mixed up...problem?
nob_1100 wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

Thanks for the reminder. My 7 year old girl applied oil to every single piece with a brush as *we* assembled the head.

If it's plain oil, you can do better. We used to use STP oil treatment to coat assembled surfaces, it sticks really well and is high in ZDDP (zinc compounds) which plate metal and protect it during start up and run in. I also mix up a 50-50 blend with motor oil and fill the cam journals in the top so they will have oil.

They make dedicated lube now for engine assembly.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 May 2009 22:00 by bountyhunter.

More
26 May 2009 22:22 #294303 by nads.com
find something to measure from the center of the buckets where the shim sits. measure from there to the base circle of the cam over each bucket . start by placing the thicker shims into the buckets that have more clearance between the bucket and the cam base circle. This should get you in the ballpark and save some extra shim swapping between buckets. Other than that BOOYAH! Funny how one minute your keeping close track of things and then....... Seriously though, maybe the 7yr old should be running the show from now on.