kerosene for starter clutch

More
23 May 2009 22:20 #293599 by John Simons
kerosene for starter clutch was created by John Simons
Starter clutch does on engage on cold start up. Once hot, can start every time. The bike sat outside for twelve years in all types of weather. Done alot of work to it and ride it often. Been using Rotella Diesel oil to clean it. Starting has improved. Been doing research, and believe that Kerosene in the crank case might clean the Starter Clutch. I do know not to run it for alot of time. I believe that each time the bike has time to cool of, The crud forms around the clutch parts causing the bike not to start electronically. If anyone thinks this i crazy, let me know.

thank, John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2009 22:33 #293602 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kerosene for starter clutch
Kerosene is a light oil with low lubricating properties, I'd be reluctant to add to the crankcase oil as it might cause seizing or galling of rotating parts.

I'd rather remove the stator cover,rotor, and inspect/replace the flattened rollers and the collapsed springs in the starting clutch.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 May 2009 22:51 #293603 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kerosene for starter clutch
John Simons wrote:

believe that Kerosene in the crank case might clean the Starter Clutch.

On mine, the starter clutch is outside the crankcase behind the alternator coil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 May 2009 08:12 #293632 by killerkaw
Replied by killerkaw on topic kerosene for starter clutch
I dont recomend it but if you do make sure you mix it with your oil not in place of it the general rule i was tought was a 20% kerosine and 80 oil run the engine for 10 min at idle it will clean a lot of crap out of the engine the reason i dont do it any more is that it tends to free up a bunch of crap that can get stopped in the oil pump screen which requires removal of the pan to clean which will end up being more work than removing the side cover and cleaning it directly

More
25 May 2009 05:54 #293817 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic kerosene for starter clutch
Had a shop instructor years ago who told me to try #2 diesel and let the motor idle for about 30 seconds. Said I’d be amazed at the crap that came out of the engine. Tried it a couple times and although it worked I never felt good about dumping clean oil in afterward just to contaminate it with the leftover diesel.

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 May 2009 06:38 #293822 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic kerosene for starter clutch
I am a firm beleiver in "Marvels Mystery Oil"
20% to 25% in clean oil. for 2 or 3 miles.
I run it my gasoline also, 2oz. to 5 Gals. gas.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
25 May 2009 07:33 #293827 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic kerosene for starter clutch
like mfolks said it is the starter clutch it self it will have flat spots on the rollers and on the ring gear assembly unless some of this magic fluid can add metal to them , i'd say that you have to change them out as an assembly.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
25 May 2009 07:46 #293831 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kerosene for starter clutch
franknsr wrote: "Had a shop instructor years ago who told me to try #2 diesel and let the motor idle for about 30 seconds."

When I was a kid my friend Dave (he was 16 I was 15) had a '53 Chevy (straight 6). An "older" guy (probably 19) at a gas station told Dave if he wanted to clear the gunk out of the engine he should replace the oil with kerosene and run it a little while then replace the oil. Dave replaced the oil with kerosene and after using the car for 2 days went back and asked the guy how long he should wait before replacing the oil. The guy turned grey and said by a little while he meant maybe a minute or so. Funny thing is it did not hurt that engine at all. I guess the tolerances were measured in feet instead of thousandths of an inch so it didn't matter. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)