Oil plug frozen to oil pan

More
23 May 2009 12:26 #293494 by Z1Rider
Oil plug frozen to oil pan was created by Z1Rider
It's been a while since I have loged on. Progress on the bike has been slow but steady until last night. I tried to get the oil out of the engine only to find a hacked up oil plug nut. By the time I got done with the vise grips and the pipe wrench it got much worse the !@#$%^& wont come out, any suggestions? The oil filter spun right out but only a pint of oil came out there is still oil in the pan so I'm a little concerned about heating it.:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2009 13:02 #293502 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
This post refers to the oil FILTER bolt,but have a look and see if anything here might help ya...

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=2&id=287450#287975
B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
23 May 2009 13:03 - 23 May 2009 13:06 #293503 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
Z1Rider wrote:

It's been a while since I have loged on. Progress on the bike has been slow but steady until last night. I tried to get the oil out of the engine only to find a hacked up oil plug nut. By the time I got done with the vise grips and the pipe wrench it got much worse the !@#$%^& wont come out, any suggestions? The oil filter spun right out but only a pint of oil came out there is still oil in the pan so I'm a little concerned about heating it.:blink:

Would heat area with propane torch, give it a couple of good whacks, and perhaps try grip-tite socket or cold chisel and hammer method tapping around the edge. Could also try filing new flats on the plug. Sometimes it helps to force (hammer) a smaller socket in place over the damaged plug for better grip. Then an impact wrench may loosen it.

If remove battery and fuel tank, with a couple of old tires for padding, may carefully lean the bike over onto its side for better access to the stuck plug.

When reassembling, a new plug is available from Z1E.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 May 2009 13:06 by Patton.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
23 May 2009 13:10 #293505 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
If you really had to, you could drop the oil pan to get the oil out, but then you would need a new pan gasket. But while the pan was off maby you would have better luck getting the bolt out.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
23 May 2009 13:27 #293507 by Techhead0_3
Replied by Techhead0_3 on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
If you are worried about heating the plug up with oil still in the pan then take it for a good ride to let the motor heat itself up. Don't go just around the block either, make sure you get it good and hot. Then have a go at the plug while it is still hot. I know you said you got the filter out already so I would put the old one back in for now so your not running old oil through a new filter and wasting it and top the oil off. I am an auto tech and this is a trick I use a lot in the shop, aspecially when I have a steel bolt treaded into alunimum. If you try heating the plug while the motor is cold you run the risk of cracking the pan. If there is any sign of the old plugs shape you can take a fill to it to cleanit up a bit and take a 6 pointed socket that is close to fitting but just a hair small and hit it on the plug and use a ratchet to get it off. The shocking vibrations from hitting it will help to losen the plug, another trick I use, canbe and would be better with the motor hot. Good luck

1980 KZ750G1 LTD

More
23 May 2009 13:33 #293509 by gnfreak
Replied by gnfreak on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
i've got a set of these nut removers from craftsman that i've never had to use so i cant verify they work

Normal, IL
1980 KZ1000-G1 Classic - Sold
Attachments:

More
23 May 2009 14:27 #293519 by Z1Rider
Replied by Z1Rider on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
GOT IT!! Reground the hex by eye, hammered an old socket on, used a torch, a chisel, and grabbed the uper flange of the plug with the pipe wrench. The plug is trash but it's off. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!! :P

More
23 May 2009 16:04 #293532 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
A thin film of antiseize on the threads of the new bolt will make it easier next time. Drilling the bolt for safety wiring or lock wire will give peace of mind.

www.browntool.com/Default.aspx?tabid=255&txtSearch=safety+wire

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 May 2009 18:01 - 23 May 2009 18:02 #293560 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
Congrats and thanks for the report.

Here's a link to new oil plug from Z1E.
Don't know whether it comes with a new 0-ring.
Z1E Oil Plug

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 May 2009 18:02 by Patton.

More
25 May 2009 19:24 #294029 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Oil plug frozen to oil pan
An old mechanics trick(taught to me by an old mechanic)try giving it a couple good whacks flat on the end with a brass hammer.sometimes this will jar it loose.