Clutch Release Problems 84 KZ700

• Treeman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1984 KZ 700 A1
More
23 May 2009 04:47 #293451 by Treeman
Clutch Release Problems 84 KZ700 was created by Treeman
I replaced my clutch cable, cleaned and greased the release mechanism and have tried adjusting the clutch countless times. Each time the clutch release pops out of of its housing rendering the clutch useless. The release appears to only be installed one way with the are of the pointed downward. The clutch worked before I replaced the cable although it was hard to work and it engaged and disengaged at the outside travel of the clutch lever. Is it possible the spring behind the clutch release rod is weak or I have the release installed improperly? I was thinking of trying it with the adjustment screw screwed in rather than the 1/2 backout turn it calls for but obviously concerned want problems that could cause. Help please!

1984 KZ700 A1
2005 Harley Softail Springer Classic
Palmyra, NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2009 07:33 - 23 May 2009 07:45 #293462 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch Release Problems 84 KZ700
Treeman wrote:

I replaced my clutch cable, cleaned and greased the release mechanism and have tried adjusting the clutch countless times. Each time the clutch release pops out of of its housing rendering the clutch useless. The release appears to only be installed one way with the are of the pointed downward. The clutch worked before I replaced the cable although it was hard to work and it engaged and disengaged at the outside travel of the clutch lever. Is it possible the spring behind the clutch release rod is weak or I have the release installed improperly? I was thinking of trying it with the adjustment screw screwed in rather than the 1/2 backout turn it calls for but obviously concerned want problems that could cause. Help please!

Does allowing more gap between the adjuster and clutch push rod make any difference?

Does maximizing cable slack at the handlebar whereby the adjuster barely engages the pushrod when fully squeezing the lever, make any difference?

Perhaps the pushrod is bent, scoured, or otherwise damaged so it's not freely moving back and forth between the adjuster and ball bearing.

Or maybe the ball bearing is damaged, or the spring pusher is damaged.

For possible consideration is the roller bearing style spring pusher from Z1E
Roller bearing style spring pusher

But I would first rule out other possible reasons why the oem system is failing.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 May 2009 07:45 by Patton.

More
23 May 2009 17:35 #293556 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Clutch Release Problems 84 KZ700
Treeman, If at any time in your' adventure you had the clutch push rod out, there is a possibility that the #8 ball bearing which should reside at the far (right hand) end has escaped. it's absence would explain your' woes. hope this helps. g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• Treeman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1984 KZ 700 A1
More
23 May 2009 19:24 #293578 by Treeman
Replied by Treeman on topic Clutch Release Problems 84 KZ700
Thanks guys. I figured it out...I was turning the adjuster screw right then backing it out the 1/2 turn. Should have been turning it left till its tight then back right the 1/2 turn..daaa. Works fine now.

1984 KZ700 A1
2005 Harley Softail Springer Classic
Palmyra, NY