after rebuild problems

More
20 May 2009 10:52 #292885 by jbrewer73
after rebuild problems was created by jbrewer73
I have a 78 kz1000 with 28mm carbs, pods and kerker header all else is stock.

I just had to take the motor apart cause I heard some knocking on the lower end. Turns out it was a broked chain guide clunking around. Replaced rings, chain, checked out all was good inside and did a valve job and cleaned up the pistons and combustion chamber. Put it back together and checked the valve clearance and they are all on the high side so I left them. A little noisyer than i'd like but no problem. Went to sync the carbs and when i pulled off the caps to install the vacuum lines all four carb caps were filled with gas. this is a first for me even whne my bike was overfueling i don't hink i ever seen my carb caps wet.
Anyway i proceeded with sync anyway and got them pretty close but cannot get the bike to idle down. if I adjust the idle down it will go but when i blip the throttle it races up and wont go down. I synced the carbs before the tear down and was idleing high as well but not as extreme as now.
Any input woul dbe appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2009 14:39 #292921 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic after rebuild problems
sounds like your pilot screws are set too lean try adjusting them all the same the hang up in idle is caused by leanness.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
20 May 2009 14:48 #292923 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic after rebuild problems
It could be a vacuum leak too. Spray some starting fluid around the boots when running and see if the motor races.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
20 May 2009 18:48 #292980 by jbrewer73
Replied by jbrewer73 on topic after rebuild problems
Yeah I tried spraying carb cleaner on the boots but did not expect that to be the proble. I put new ones on using some rtv. But good suggestion. I'll try the pilots tomorrow.
I thought possibly when syncing the carbs I did not adjust the idle scre where it needed to be before doing so. So even though carbs have even vacuum I have no travel ib the idle screw. I need to scre it pretty far in to get it to idle at 1000 rpm. I was thinking I needed to back out my 4 sync adjsut screws and start over. But i am gonna try the air mixture screws as t-bomb suggested.
Thanks gentlemen.

More
21 May 2009 19:04 #293175 by jbrewer73
I tried adjusting my air/fuel screws and still no luck. I'm wondering if after cleaning all the carbon from the the pistons and head and valve lapping that it would get much better fuel flow making it run even leaner. Would this mean I may possibly have to go bigger on my pilot jet. I currently have 17.5's now but have a new set of 20's in the garage. Wondering if it would richen it up to where it needs to be.

More
22 May 2009 06:39 #293289 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic after rebuild problems
Have you looked at the throttle cables to make sure they are not binding up, or even frayed inside.
the easiest way is to remove them from the carbs and see if the problem is still there

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
22 May 2009 07:30 #293296 by jbrewer73
i DID CHECK THE CABLES AND THEY SEEMED OKAY BUT I LIKE THE IDEA OF TRYING WITHOUT THE CABLES.
ILL GIVE IT A SHOT THIS AFTERNOON. IM GONNA DOUBLE CHECK THE TIMING WITH A TIMING LIGHT TOO. TE BIKE STARTS RIGHT UP SO ID DI NOT SUSPECT TIMING. IS IT POSSIBLE IT COULD START UP THAT NICE AND STILL BE OUT OF TIME?

More
22 May 2009 16:45 #293377 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic after rebuild problems
Hum... did you forget that your CAP-Lock was on or are you just yelling at us.... :ohmy: :whistle: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
22 May 2009 16:52 #293379 by Buda
Replied by Buda on topic after rebuild problems
Your hurting my ears :( :( :pinch: :woohoo:

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

More
22 May 2009 17:11 #293382 by jbrewer73
yeah...the cap lock was on and did not feel like re-typing.
:silly:

More
05 Jun 2009 07:10 #296485 by jbrewer73
I got the bike running pretty good. The valve clearances were indeed too tight, made a big difference. But know when i get on it in first gear and wind it out, right before I was ready to bang secong i heard a pop so i let off. Pop thru the exhaust like a misfire.

I hate to admit but still have points. I have a DYNA S on the way. Bad points??

More
05 Jun 2009 17:30 #296575 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic after rebuild problems
jbrewer73 wrote:

I got the bike running pretty good. The valve clearances were indeed too tight, made a big difference. But know when i get on it in first gear and wind it out, right before I was ready to bang secong i heard a pop so i let off. Pop thru the exhaust like a misfire.

I hate to admit but still have points. I have a DYNA S on the way. Bad points??

just my .02....put in the dyna and with pods and a pipe go with #20 pilots...i forget what the book says but 2 turns out on screws should get ya close......what mains do ya have?