82' gpz clutch troubles

• jdreadrocker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2009 18:37 #292766 by jdreadrocker
82' gpz clutch troubles was created by jdreadrocker
so my gpz runs great but i am having some troubles with the clutch. it has a brand new cable on it, but the problem is that while driving it the clutch will suddenly go slack. Then you can't down shift or use the clutch or anything. The shifter just flops around and it is like the cable is broken but i have checked and it is not. I have taken the assembly apart and readjusted multiple times but it just will not keep working correctly. What is going on and how do i fix it? fix it for good?

83'GPZ750-r1
Bald Knob, Arkansas

other bikes owned:
72 honda cb500, 2003 Buell Blast P3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 19:38 #292790 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 82' gpz clutch troubles
Loosen up your clutch cable,remove the cover on the left side and check the clutch cable mechanism for wear. Many years ago on mine I had to repair the area where the cable was hooked into the clutch engagement system.

While your sprocket cover is off,clean off the cluch rod as it gathers crud from the chain and could damage the oil seal possibly creating a leak.

The clutch mechanism had developed some wear and excessive play in the rivet so I replaced the worn rivet with a high strength aerospace fastener.

A good cleaning and inspecting the mechanism and re-greasing should fix the problem.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 May 2009 14:57 #292925 by Treeman
Replied by Treeman on topic 82' gpz clutch troubles
I'm having what sounds like very similar problems with my 84 kz700. I replaced the cable and now the release mechanism keeps "out and poping off" it's bearing set rendering the clutch lever useless. Is similar to your problem? I'm wondering if my clutch springs are shot.

1984 KZ700 A1
2005 Harley Softail Springer Classic
Palmyra, NY

• jdreadrocker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2009 15:17 #292929 by jdreadrocker
Replied by jdreadrocker on topic 82' gpz clutch troubles
treeman it sounds like we are having the exact same problem. i put a new cable on the bike and i have had trouble ever since. the little arm that holds the clutch tight keeps poping loose. I really need this fixed because i am trying to sell the bike and it seems like every time i get it running like a champ, someone shows up and the whole bike goes to hell. it is extremely frustrating.

83'GPZ750-r1
Bald Knob, Arkansas

other bikes owned:
72 honda cb500, 2003 Buell Blast P3

More
20 May 2009 15:46 - 20 May 2009 15:50 #292938 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82' gpz clutch troubles
Am uncertain whether the following suggestion might be applicable to the particular model at hand. :unsure:

But if not already done, would assure the pushrod adjustment assembly is correctly oriented so that when pulled on (by squeezing the clutch handlebar lever) the pushrod adjustment assembly is not permitted to over-extend past the design limit.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 May 2009 15:50 by Patton.

More
23 May 2009 19:29 #293580 by Treeman
Replied by Treeman on topic 82' gpz clutch troubles
jdreadrocker,

I figured it out. Turn the adjuster screw to the left until it gets tight then to the right the 1/4 to half turn. I bet you were doing the opposite like I was. da. That should do it, it did for me. Good luck:woohoo:

1984 KZ700 A1
2005 Harley Softail Springer Classic
Palmyra, NY