Left Side Oil Leak - Seals Question

More
19 May 2009 16:00 #292720 by HerrDeacon
Left Side Oil Leak - Seals Question was created by HerrDeacon
I seem to be leaking a oil from somewhere behind the left side cover. I think its either the push rod seal or the gear change lever seal, or both :(

I'm thinking its the push rod seal as it looks like there is a chunk taken out of it. I've cleaned the areas around each up so that I can check it after the next time I ride to help determine the culprit.

I'm wondering if these seals require splitting the cases? Also, are these seals still available?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 16:03 #292722 by Pro_window78
Replied by Pro_window78 on topic Left Side Oil Leak - Seals Question
You have taken the first step in the correct direction. I personally don't know if the seals are available, but knowing which one is a huge step. Good luck!

More
20 May 2009 12:21 #292895 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Left Side Oil Leak - Seals Question
Killed two birds with one stone.

Cleaned both areas last night to help diagnose. While I had it all apart figured I may as well "glue" a rubber washer on top of the clutch push rod seal to help cover the missing chunk. I used RTV and the end off a rubber caliper bleed cap :)

Seems to have worked, at least temporarily. I just checked it after riding to and from work and everything is still clean and the oil level is still the same. I'll keep an eye on it over the next little while. God I love RTV, used it on numerous things, never fails to impress.

I'll check it later on and update this thread.

More
20 May 2009 13:01 - 20 May 2009 13:19 #292902 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Left Side Oil Leak - Seals Question
The seals are still available, not sure if you can still get OEM but you can get aftermarket ones (TourMax ao) - you can buy an engine seal kit that includes the seals for the clutch push rod, shifter lever, output shaft, kickstart shaft and the crank seals, I'm sure Jeff at Z1E carries it.

And no, you don't need to split the cases to change the seals in question (though obviously you'll need to to split the cases to change the crank seals), the seals for the clutch pushrod, shifter lever and output shaft all sit in the mission cover which can be removed by removing the left side foot peg, shifter lever, left side engine cover and front sprocket - you will also need a new gasket for the mission cover.

Removing the mission cover (can be done with the engine still in the frame):

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 May 2009 13:19 by OnkelB.

More
20 May 2009 13:02 - 20 May 2009 13:18 #292903 by OnkelB
Reinstalled with new seals:

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 May 2009 13:18 by OnkelB.

More
20 May 2009 15:18 #292930 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic Left Side Oil Leak - Seals Question
That's great to hear OnkelB, thanks for posting that and including the pics. I wasn't even aware that that section came off separately. I'm going to see how far my temporary solution gets me. I want to get a new chain and sprockets, so hopefully it can last long enough for me to get it all, do it all at once then.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

More
20 May 2009 15:42 #292937 by OnkelB
No problem, you're welcome.