Late throttle response!

More
19 May 2009 09:56 #292651 by DMR
Late throttle response! was created by DMR
I'm having some issues with my 1980 650. After shifting in any gear, when I give the bike some gas, it takes a second for the bike to respond. I can feel the bump of the engine when it kicks in. It does this through all 5 gears and feels exactly the same. Even when I throttle down say in 4th gear and give it gas again, I get this late acceleration. Is this a carb issue?

I'm not to good at diagnosing this stuff so any help is greatly appreciated. let me know if I need to provide any more details. Thanks.

1980 KZ650
-Vance and Hines exhaust

Duluth, MN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2009 10:40 #292664 by athlonwirez
Replied by athlonwirez on topic Late throttle response!
Do you have pod filters? If so, are the filters clean? Has it been running fine in the past? Have the carbs been adjusted recently? It could be a little rich. I may not be a guru, but hopefully your answers to these questions will help the guru's.

1978 LTD Partial Restoration in Process. (Do not have orginal exhaust)

More
19 May 2009 10:49 #292668 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Late throttle response!
Is the spark good at all four sparkplugs? Have the sparkplug caps been checked or replaced? Plugs properly gapped? Ignition coils primary and secondary wiring in good shape? Good fuel flow to the carbs?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 May 2009 10:54 #292671 by athlonwirez
Replied by athlonwirez on topic Late throttle response!
Yeah, my next thought was having a look at the plugs. :)

1978 LTD Partial Restoration in Process. (Do not have orginal exhaust)

More
19 May 2009 13:31 #292696 by DMR
Replied by DMR on topic Late throttle response!
MFolks wrote:

Is the spark good at all four sparkplugs? Have the sparkplug caps been checked or replaced? Plugs properly gapped? Ignition coils primary and secondary wiring in good shape? Good fuel flow to the carbs?

spark plugs are all good
caps are fine
plugs properly gapped
wiring is in good shape
fuel flow should be fine

Once I get on the throttle and I get over that little bump, the engine runs perfectly fine.

1980 KZ650
-Vance and Hines exhaust

Duluth, MN

• Kingchiefa
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
19 May 2009 14:12 #292702 by Kingchiefa
Replied by Kingchiefa on topic Late throttle response!
DMR wrote:

MFolks wrote:

spark plugs are all good
caps are fine
plugs properly gapped
wiring is in good shape
fuel flow should be fine

Once I get on the throttle and I get over that little bump, the engine runs perfectly fine.

I was having that same problem on my 79 KZ 1000, is it slow to take off from 1st gear?? Are you almost all the way off the clutch when it finally starts to roll?

1979 KZ1000 ltd b3 Currently in Troy, PA. Hope to some of you on the road.

More
19 May 2009 14:55 - 19 May 2009 14:56 #292708 by DMR
Replied by DMR on topic Late throttle response!
Kingchiefa wrote:

DMR wrote:

MFolks wrote:

spark plugs are all good
caps are fine
plugs properly gapped
wiring is in good shape
fuel flow should be fine

I was having that same problem on my 79 KZ 1000, is it slow to take off from 1st gear?? Are you almost all the way off the clutch when it finally starts to roll?

It takes off fine from 1st, but then when I let off the clutch and give it gas, it takes a second for it to respond and pick up. Also, when I shift higher up in the rpms, it isn't as noticeable.

1980 KZ650
-Vance and Hines exhaust

Duluth, MN
Last edit: 19 May 2009 14:56 by DMR.

More
19 May 2009 15:57 #292719 by Pro_window78
Replied by Pro_window78 on topic Late throttle response!
Have you actually checked your coils with a multi meter for resistance? This requires taking your tank off. You say your fuel flow should be fine, have you taken off your bowls to look for any junk? Your bike is almost 30 years old, you can't assume things are working as they should. Gotta do some investigation my friend. Good luck!

More
19 May 2009 18:47 #292768 by jfash
Replied by jfash on topic Late throttle response!
To my understanding there are 3 separate systems or circuits in a carberator for different throttle positions.
Find out what range of rpms you are having your hesitation in.

More
19 May 2009 18:57 #292771 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Late throttle response!
does the motor actually hesitate or does it run fine just the bike is slow reacting. because if the latter problem is what your seeing happen then you might want to check your clutch adjustment or even look at the wear on you chain and sprockets it's kind of tough to diagnos from the way your discribing the problem.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
19 May 2009 19:14 - 19 May 2009 19:16 #292782 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Late throttle response!
DMR, Poor response off idle can be lots of things. Am quessing that by 1980, ignition no longer used a mechanical advance. (my 1st guess for points models) Poor transition off pilot circuit to needles is the next most common problem. dirty carbs, poor jetting to pods/exhaust mods being common. low compression/moderatly flouled plugs also high on the list. old plug caps leaking to ground until system voltage is high enough to spark plugs as well as to ground also possible.Also lite intake leaks. no quick answer here, but some things to check. Luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1
Last edit: 19 May 2009 19:16 by gane.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
19 May 2009 19:17 #292786 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Late throttle response!
Over the years, I've run into situations like this problem describes [best as I can decypher anyway].

On a few, it was simply over full on oil and the excess got blow into the airbox and saturated the air filter. If it's a stock airbox setup. Check the filter.

Had a guy come in one time with a bike that flat out died when you gave it anything more than a little throttle. Removing the gloves he had stored under the seat so the airbox opening wasn't 3/4 plugged off cured that one :)

Point is this. Check the obvious before anything else...Stuff happens.... :woohoo: