power upgrades to the shaftie

• high toned son of a bitch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2006 19:18 #29223 by high toned son of a bitch
power upgrades to the shaftie was created by high toned son of a bitch
Hello all,
Today I found something on my 1000 that really twisted my tittie's. APPARENTLY, the previous owner must have stripped the shifter on the shaft, then decided to weld it on. He must not have been thinking about the heat cooking the shifter shaft seal.:angry:
SO, I have cut the old shifter off, and started to smooth the shaft back down, so I can get the bevel drive off of the trans. I now need to replace the shifter shaft, so if you know of anyone who has one, please let me know.

Also,
I have decided to strip the frame, have it blasted and powdercoated. I am going to put more money into this than I wanted to, but hopefully it will work out when I sell it.

1. If I use the factory headpipes 4-2, and put a open pipe on each side of the bike, will it make as much power as my 4-1 header? I like the exhaust on both sides of the bike. I may try to sell the 4-1 for a 4-2 type header.
2. After doing one of the above, I am also adding my K&N pods from the 900 onto the shaftie.
3. Dyna coils will be used also.

With these modifications, (and any other easy ones anyone suggests), will my stock (accelerator pump emissions style) carbs be able to handle the increase? OR should I pull the carbs off the 1976 kz900 and get a newer and better set for it(900)?

What plugs should I run with the header, open pipe/s, pods, ignition upgrade?

Any timing changes I should make while I have the engine out, or valve clearence changes? I am going to adjust this stuff per the manual, but is there any other tricks or "better specs" for power, or is the manual dead on correct?

Thanks,
Mike

I am trying to attach about 6 pics, but it ain't working out for me:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2006 20:14 #29239 by bob_z1
Replied by bob_z1 on topic power upgrades to the shaftie
I have a shift shaft and shifter somewhere.... plus most any other driveline part for the ST.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.