many problems need lotsa help....

More
17 May 2009 01:52 #291822 by Bek82
many problems need lotsa help.... was created by Bek82
Hey guys, running into a major problem with restoring my kz750G. The bike was sitting for more than ten years so theres a significant amount of rust. I'm finding myself stripping almost every screw I get into because the metal is so weak. Although removing the screw isn't that much of a problem I'm trying to find info about bolts and screw sizing for the kz750. I'm sure it's somewhere I just can't find it...any points to the right direction would be really helpful. I've been pretty much drilling out screws but any other way people have found? I tried cold-welding with little success....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hounddog09er
  • User
  • KZ 1100 spectre
More
17 May 2009 02:32 #291824 by Hounddog09er
Replied by Hounddog09er on topic many problems need lotsa help....
i think that Z1 might have bolt kits. and as far as the old ones go sometimes i find that with a dremel with a small cut wheel type of blade you can cut a groove and use a flat head screwdriver with some success. good luck.

Braden

1998 kx80
1982 Kz1100 D1 Spectre

More
17 May 2009 03:59 #291826 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic many problems need lotsa help....
one of those handheld impact drivers can save a lot of aggrivation with stuck fasteners

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
17 May 2009 06:36 #291845 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic many problems need lotsa help....
Put Kroil on the screws for a couple days and they should come out. It really does work well. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 May 2009 07:13 #291856 by pburnhamb
Replied by pburnhamb on topic many problems need lotsa help....
I hope you are talking about stripping the head of the bolts.... if so check out these grip tite sockets. U can get them at sears.

www.bt-andf.com/index.php

i just got a set to get off a completely rounded off wheel lug on my car and it worked extremely well...well worth $25. and they are guranteed to work, says it right on the box. i suggest using it with a breaker bar or socket wrench, not an impact wrench.

thats if you are stripping the heads of the bolts not the threads. use KROIL like 650ed said in either case, that stuff is magic

1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

More
17 May 2009 07:19 #291859 by pburnhamb
Replied by pburnhamb on topic many problems need lotsa help....
bikebandit.com probably has all the schematics charts for your bike, very usefull. call Z1, jeff will probablly be able to get u a bolt kit even if u dont see it listed online.

1978 kz650b (810, 750 head)
1976 kz900
1977 xs650

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
17 May 2009 07:32 #291866 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic many problems need lotsa help....
also im re-learning somthing i knew years back but forgot.......for me imo....i only need 1/4 drive ratchet for re-assembly....i got a good deals on a 1/2 and 3/8 drives and socketts when i tooled up for bikes again ...but was finding that a nice touch for tightening -even spinning em down close to tight.....is not that swift with the balance of the bigger tools and can overwhelm the aluminum threads and older fastners quik.... before i knew it i was fixing this boogered one and snapping this old one ect......i went back to my 1/4 tiny set and am getting my "feel" back for hand tight and can feel problem threads better and adjust my schwing.....i knew this back in the day but got back on bikes 2 yrs back and was using construction tools/methods and habits on this old kz...started breaking shit now and again till i switched to smaller tools.... good luck on your stripped/seized ones...spray em-soak em-impact driver...channel locks and a quick tap of the finish hammer breaks em free sometimes too.....peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
17 May 2009 08:08 #291887 by JR
Replied by JR on topic many problems need lotsa help....
The bolts are all metric. I can usually find what size I need by going to kawasaki.com , owner info, parts diagrams and so on. You might have to search around a bit to find your model or something similar.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
17 May 2009 08:14 #291891 by Bek82
Replied by Bek82 on topic many problems need lotsa help....
thanks for all the replies. Im thinking that calling z1 for a new bolt set would probably be the best way to go coz im going to be breaking shit left and right as I continue and I wont know which ones i'll end up breaking. Does anyone know if disconnecting the MC will not make the plugs fire?

More
18 May 2009 16:22 #292467 by JR
Replied by JR on topic many problems need lotsa help....
Bek82 wrote:

Does anyone know if disconnecting the MC will not make the plugs fire?

MC = Master Cylinder ?

Should'nt prevent the plugs firing ...........but then I'm not familiar with the twins.

On the other hand mine wont fire unless the clutch lever is pulled in as there is a safety switch built in. Again I dont know if the twin had this feature

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
18 May 2009 23:19 #292534 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic many problems need lotsa help....
fixer5000 wrote:

one of those handheld impact drivers can save a lot of aggrivation with stuck fasteners

Ya, i agree with you there. I used the handheld impact drivers on my z1 900 and it worked like a charm.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
23 May 2009 23:09 #293606 by Yojymbo!
Replied by Yojymbo! on topic many problems need lotsa help....
I had some problems fasteners and the cure I found was to hit them with brake cleaner and let it penetrate a few minutes, then use WD40 or whatever and a pair of locking vice grips to grab the screw by its head. Then off to the screw store to get some new gear. They love it when you walk in and buy one or two screws at a time.:cheer: