Top End Job

• mseems
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 550 A3
More
16 May 2009 21:47 #291798 by mseems
Top End Job was created by mseems
Hello, can someone please give me an overview of a top end job on a kz550 a3? My compression is about 150 on all four cylinders. Is that bad? Bike smells like gas pretty bad after riding. However there is no visible leaks. The vacuum petcock doesn't work properly. I usually ride with it on prime then try to remember to shut it off when I stop. I read somewhere that the gasy fumes could be a result of engine wear. The head pipes have blued pretty bad. Read this was natural. Also read that it could be running too lean or rich. Any ideas on doing a top end job or getting rid of the gasy fumes? Thanks for any advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2009 22:51 #291809 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Top End Job
Would sniff-test crankcase oil and examine it's physical condition to determine whether there's potentially disasterous fuel intrusion into crankcase.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 May 2009 08:34 #291894 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Top End Job
I would start with the obvious. If the petcock isn't working properly I would rebuild or replace that first. Then I would change oil and filter before riding in case, as Patton pointed out, your crankcase is loaded with fuel (this is a bad thing). I wouldn't continue to ride the bike until I fixed the problem because if you can smell fuel after riding fuel must be leaking someplace and that is a serious safety problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 May 2009 14:27 - 17 May 2009 14:29 #291937 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Top End Job
mseems wrote:

Hello, can someone please give me an overview of a top end job on a kz550 a3? My compression is about 150 on all four cylinders. Is that bad?

sounds pretty good to me.

Bike smells like gas pretty bad after riding.

sounds like the petcock is either not cutting off (if it is vacuum type) or you are leaving it on. Also, carbs may need the float needles/seats worked on to seal properly.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 May 2009 14:29 by bountyhunter.

• mseems
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 550 A3
More
17 May 2009 15:44 #291955 by mseems
Replied by mseems on topic Top End Job
I should restate that, the bike smells like gas while i'm riding it too. Also the throttle cuts out a little if I twist the grip too fast like its getting too much gas. I have to ease into it. Pipes are blue too like its running too rich. Seems like I need to lean out the carbs. Is there an adjustment for that? Should I just order carb rebuild kits and replace the petcock?
Thanks

More
17 May 2009 17:41 - 17 May 2009 17:43 #292015 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Top End Job
mseems wrote:

Pipes are blue too like its running too rich.

Blue = lean

Pipe turns blue because of higher temps.

Although, most single wall exhaust pipes do eventually turn blue at the first turn near the exhaust port even if the mix is correct.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 May 2009 17:43 by bountyhunter.

• mseems
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 550 A3
More
17 May 2009 19:39 #292208 by mseems
Replied by mseems on topic Top End Job
Mine are blue down to the pipe junction towards the bottom. Looks pretty bad. I think the carbs aren't running right.

More
17 May 2009 23:26 #292331 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic Top End Job
150 psi is pretty good compression. I'd think that gas fumes would mean unburnt fuel from carbs or a leak. If your petcock is jacked I'd certainly start there. Check your plugs too... It's always easiest to check and/or fix the most obvious and cheapest things first.... haha
and why is blueing on the pipe bad??? There's people who go nuts over that stuff ;)
It sounds like a carb issue to me, unless the petcock is dumping fuel somewhere.

1978 KZ1000 police

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
20 May 2009 13:02 #292904 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Top End Job
If it is a vaccume style petcock I would check the vaccume tube. My was shot and my bike would not run propperly.

Like the guys have suggested, check the easy stuff first:

Make sure the petcock is in working order, fuel line, vaccume line, check for correct type spark plugs. Is the bike running on all the cylinders, easy to check by spraying the exhaust headers with a spray bottle and H2O. If the water turns to steam upon contact then your fine, if not then you are down on a cylinder ect...

Do you have clear tubes running from the overflow nipples on your carbs? If not and you have nipples, then you should add some.

I am new to riding, but these items have saved me a pile of cash over the last 2 years.

KR

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST